Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah a 20 gallon if good for a clown. 2 if you wanted.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
This "Finding Nemo" phenomenon that has everyone wanting to buy Moorish Idols reminds me of the Disney "dalmation" movies some years back. Every little kid got a new dalmation puppy until they learned they're aggressive, not good with kids, and likely to bite.

Couldn't be worse than the Harry Potter nonsense and everyone wanting to own an owl.
Dalmations are not agressive unless they are trained to be that way... I used to breed dogs. We had Pit Bulls and everyone used to try and tell me they are agressive dogs, but the ***** and her mate were two of the sweetest dogs I ever knew. The people that tend to let their kids have the dogs or fish they see on the movies do not tend to know what they are getting into before they buy. Parents need to be parents and drawlines, do research and not always give their children what they want. Please do not give dalmations or any other breed of animal a bad name by saying they are agressive. That is gerneralizing a breed and is in my opinion just as bad as being racist or sexist toward other humans.

The first poster on this thread is doing the smartest thing by asking for advice on what to get his/her kid. I think it is very responsible and respectable to ask.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Couldn't be worse than the Harry Potter nonsense and everyone wanting to own an owl.
Hey, owls are great pets...you can do nighttime falconry and fix that annoying neighbourhood stray cat problem.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
The Nemo phenomenon has been discussed in length on this board before. IMO and the opinion of many, the ones that loose the most are the fish. That movie (as much as I like it from an entertainment point of view) did a lot of damage to this hobby and places like Petco make a killing (literally) from it.
I'm glad to see the original poster asking before buying, its a smart move because the dentist's aquarium would be a disaster in real life.
#1 The Puffer would eat the cleaner shrimp.
#2 The Moorish Idol would most likely die (VERY hard fish to keep in captivity and should be left in the ocean).
#3 The plastic plants and CC would be a nightmare to clean.
#4 For that particular mix, you would need a tank of at least 180 gallons IMO.
That being said, a False Perc in a 20 gallon is very doable and enjoyable to children. Add a cleaner shrimp for some addition fun.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not knocking the thread poster for asking, I'm just making a general statement. Certainly it's a good idea to ask before you take ownership of a pet.

As far as dalmations go - I love all dogs no matter what. I've heard from different people that dalmations "aren't the best dogs to have around kids" (that's me being PC). As a matter of fact our neighbors just got rid of their dalmation last week because it did something aggressive (I didn't find out what).

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
Quote:
Hey, owls are great pets...you can do nighttime falconry and fix that annoying neighbourhood stray cat problem.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that. There was a big hubbub on the news about allowing hunters to shoot wild stray cats (I forget what they called them) because their populations were growing out of control. Pet owls could fix that problem in a jiffy.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Clown Monarch, I took no offense to your post and value your input, as well as everyone elses. I will relay to my cousin that if he really wants this kind of tank to consider the 20 gal with just 1, maybe 2 clowns and some cleaners (along with the live rock and such).

Thank you all for clearing this up for me.

Angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com