Silly's Saltwater Reef Adventure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone! I got my first saltwater tank about 2 and a half weeks ago. Here are the specs
100ish? lbs live rock
60 lbs sand
165w LED (upgrading to 2x 165w LED soon)
1x wp25
1x 1300 gph powerhead
1x 700 gph powerhead
1x 425 gph powerhead
Finnex digital 300w Heater
20L sump
Eshopps skimmer
DIY dual reactor (running phosguard, I'm going to run carbon soon too)
Cheato
800 gph return pump (may need to upgrade)
Custom made stand and canopy

Fish-
2x Clownfish (1 perc 1 occ I think)
2x blue-green chromis
2x bangaii cardinal (possibly pair?)
1x bicolor dottyback
1x sixline wrasse
1x lawnmower blenny
soon to be 1x yellow eye kole tang

Inverts-
1x bubble tip anemone
lots of hermits
1x sally lightfoot crab
1x emerald crab
lots of small black snails
3x turbo snails
misc other snails

Coral-
Duncan colony
Big radioactive dragoneye zoa colony
unknown red zoas
spiderman zoas
big 1 head frogspawn
small 2 head hammer
pink and red acan/favia/other coral (help id?)
green birdsnest
a few unknown softy polyp things
ricordia
mushroom
galaxea

===GET READY FOR THE PHOTO DUMP===

HELP ID THESE?? Green center with hot pink lines in the feathers?

photo hosting

Did you buy a set up tank? Looks amazing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sick!!!!! I've seen similar ad's and they're completely unrealistic with the pricing. I'd have a tough time passing one up if it was a steal.. congrats and enjoy:)

Sick!!!!! I've seen similar ad's and they're completely unrealistic with the pricing. I'd have a tough time passing one up if it was a steal.. congrats and enjoy:)

I paid 600 and then added the wp-25 for 50$. Wasn't a bad price, especially around here. And thanks:)!

Do you guys think I should make my rock higher? I have a few more rocks pieces I could use to make it higher.

I had extra rocks and a bunch of unused space in the back. I also didn't have a lot of shelfs for coral placement. So my solution? Rescape!

Just a little update. My clowns were picking on my anemone, so for 10$ I traded it out for a bigger one to see if that helped. Also, my birdsnest fell off its frag disk and fell to the bottom. I had to do a slight rescape to get it. Here's some pics. Ignore the terrible quality. I don't know why everything seems washed out.

New kole yellow eye tang acclimating.

And a new FITS. Ignore the 2 rock on the bottom. The anemone was being annoying and I still need to add them back to the scape.

Preparing for a water change so I scrapped algae. So that's why the canopy is off and the waters a big cloudy.

And I also have a question. My green bubble tip got really bleached and was getting tentacles ripped off by one of my old clowns. It is completely recovered now. However, it has way less tentacles and the ones he has now are super short. When I got it it's tentacles were around 2". Now theyre 1/4". Will it ever look normal again with long tentacles?

And I also have a question. My green bubble tip got really bleached and was getting tentacles ripped off by one of my old clowns. It is completely recovered now. However, it has way less tentacles and the ones he has now are super short. When I got it it's tentacles were around 2". Now theyre 1/4". Will it ever look normal again with long tentacles?

BTA's can be different some times. Some of them have long stringy tentacles and some have short plump "bubble tip" tentacles. Personally I really like the shorter bubbly ones. Not sure if it has to do with flow, light, both, or what. Your anemone looks great to me by what I see in those pictures and I personally wouldn't worry one bit about the tentacles. Was is the new light you got that bleached it or was it already bleached? I may take some time for it to recover its color, but looks healthy looking to me.

BTA's can be different some times. Some of them have long stringy tentacles and some have short plump "bubble tip" tentacles. Personally I really like the shorter bubbly ones. Not sure if it has to do with flow, light, both, or what. Your anemone looks great to me by what I see in those pictures and I personally wouldn't worry one bit about the tentacles. Was is the new light you got that bleached it or was it already bleached? I may take some time for it to recover its color, but looks healthy looking to me.

I upgraded to 2x 165w dimmable full spectrum LEDs. I bleached it by putting it all the way at the top right away.

It's weird because my RBTA has bulbs, and my GBTA doesn't. Although it did while it was bleached.

I upgraded to 2x 165w dimmable full spectrum LEDs. I bleached it by putting it all the way at the top right away.

It's weird because my RBTA has bulbs, and my GBTA doesn't. Although it did while it was bleached.

I'm no expert when it comes to nems by no means, but I have seen them live long healthy lives with or without bulb tentacles. What lights where you using? They will usually move on their own if they are not comfortable.

I'm no expert when it comes to nems by no means, but I have seen them live long healthy lives with or without bulb tentacles. What lights where you using? They will usually move on their own if they are not comfortable.

I was using a single 120w LED.

Eventually all bubble tips lose their bubble tips, I believe. I personally don't like the bubbles. Especially when they're bigger. Like my RBTA.

I was using a single 120w LED.

Eventually all bubble tips lose their bubble tips, I believe. I personally don't like the bubbles. Especially when they're bigger. Like my RBTA.

That is a big difference in lighting especially since you have 2 and they are higher wattage. Here is my tiny little RBTA. :) I hope it stays bubbly.

Gh4D0Ty.jpg

Back
Top Bottom