Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2003, 05:54 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Silverside info and frozen food in general

Of course, after the eel started to eat the silversides on a regular basis, the local stores ran out of them. I have called in a two hour geographic circumference to no avail. Finally my husband got tired of hearing me rant and got on the internet. A simple search for Hikari Silversides put us to a place called Bio Aquatics. They specialize in ALL types of frozen fish food. The guy there was very very helpful. He told me that no one would have any until mid to late may. Apparently they can only fish for this stuff during one season of the year. They are fishing now for packaging next month. He said Hikari told them that. People are pre ordering silversides by the cases.

Anyway, they had frozen lancefish. I am going to try them out. There minimum order is 10 pounds, but you can mix and match anything from brine shrimp, mysis, squid, krill, bloodworms...anything you can think of.
I put together a 10 pound order and with shipping it came to under 140.00

On average, including shipping,depending on the item I ordered, it was at least a 30% savings off of store prices. They carry the small sizes of stuff on up to the 16 oz size of things and that is where you really save.

You guys that have a few of you together should split some orders, bet you will save tons.

http://www.bio-aquatics.com

Old 04-23-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Thanks for the info. I had not realized that silversides was a seasonal type thing. Makes keeping a supply on hand important.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
can't you just feed eels goldfish?
Old 04-23-2003, 11:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

In my case, for two reasons the answer would be no. First and foremost, I want them to keep eating frozen and not get used to live feeders. Secondly, the freshwater feeder fish do not have the oils and nutrients that a saltwater fish needs. If fed a diet of straight freshwater feeders, they would become malnourished.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
oh good to know. i don't have an eel or anything but i was at the lfs the other day and watched him feed his eel a goldfish so i figured that that was just something they ate.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:18 AM   #6

Question, why not go to the local fish market and buy fresh fish and cut it up and feed to them..much cheaper and saltwater fish? Eels are part of the scavenger fish category aren't they? I do know I used to catch little moray's in the Keys on Hot Dogs... go figure...
Old 04-24-2003, 01:28 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Quote:
i was at the lfs the other day and watched him feed his eel a goldfish so i figured that that was just something they ate.
He was not doing anything wrong, just showing you that it ate and it was healthy. However you should be informed about the diet the fish should have.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:43 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2
Question, why not go to the local fish market and buy fresh fish and cut it up and feed to them..much cheaper and saltwater fish? Eels are part of the scavenger fish category aren't they? I do know I used to catch little moray's in the Keys on Hot Dogs... go figure...
No doubt that would work for those who have access to such markets. If not couldnt you get some raw squid, clams, scallops, and other raw fish items from the grocery store.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:03 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

all the raw foods worked for my small eel, this large one is very picky. It took 16 days for him to eat after we got him and now that we have something he likes, I will stick with it. These lancefish are smaller than silversides and he ate 6 of them. Guess they will do

Tags
food, frozen food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com