silversides & anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I feed silversides to my anemone and bubble coral? I am just looking at these things and they are a WHOLE fish. Is that ok that they will be eating the bones n all? 8O

I just added this fellow to my tank. LFS advised spot feeding with Silversides...so I'm interested in the same question!

Sorry...can't attach the photo... "Upload quota limit of 2MB" reached. Does this mean that I have to delete pictures from my gallery in order to post pictures in discussion group?

I would cut the silversides into smaller managable pieces depending on the size of the anemone. This will help the anemone swallow the food faster and easier. Sometimes if the food is too large the anemone will spit it back up. Also the longer it takes to swallow the food the more chance of bandits stealing the food from anemone.

well..i cut the silver side into half and it just take the whole thing..2nd time i try to feed the whole fish and it ate it within 5 mins ..scary animal..=x

What a great pic brad. Is that rock really that huge or is it just the way the picture was taken. Very cool.

I ordered 30lbs of LR from LR.com...and got 1-15lb piece and 3-5lb pieces. Yes, that rock is really that big. It is about 2 feet tall by about 1 foot thick. It works pretty well as the centerpiece of the hex tank.

Now...I think I'll feed my new friend a silverside...bones and all!

One more question, so the bones aren't going to pose a problem for them???

No, but there is the danger of feeding too much. I would use it as an occasional treat (still cut up into smaller pieces). With proper lighting and the normal feeding of fish, anemones should thrive with few supplemental feedings.

Bones are not issue. I dont think anyone de-bones the fish for them in the wild :wink:

Nice carpet

I've heard that some anemones can survive without spot feeding. Is this true/healthy? Are there certain types that look nice, yet require less or no spot feeding? I know having a reef system is a lot of work( and i'm ready for it :D ) but I was just wondering. Thanks.

Also, what types are popular/ which ones do you guys prefer (looks or easy to take care of)

Back
Top Bottom