simple DIY sump for extra volume

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatr_head

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 46 gallon tank with LR and LS and few fish, a crab and a shrimp - nothing fancy. The tank also has a Remora protein skimmer, heater and (2) power heads in the tank (obviously)

I'd like to add more water volume by adding a simple 10 or 20 gallon sump under the cabinet. I envision the sump will then house the protein skimmer and the heater, thus freeing space in the main tank.

I've searched for DIY sumps and they all seem pretty complicated with 2 or 3 compartments that need to be glued etc.

I just hate adding ro/di water and other chems directly into the main tank, to me it's like shocking the system, so with a sump, at least it'll get deluted and pushed into the tank eventually.

Can a simple sump support a protein skimmer or do I need other media?

I thought about a 2 compartment sump kind of like this;
--> left side being fed water from the tank via gravity over flow box This left side will have the power head feeding the protein skimmer.
--> right side will have out the protein skimmer output, heater and a submersible pump to push water back to the tank.

Whats the easiest way to accomplish what I want to do? Any links or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

I just use a big tubberware container for my sump, see my post a bit down called 'My DIY overflow/sump/wet-dry'.

Yea I saw your design and good luck w/ it. but I think it's too big . My tank and cabinet is a 46gallon bow front so I think I need something taller than wider.

Thanks again.

I used a 20 gal tank for my first sump. I had a small plastic container that I used as a pseudo wall/baffle. Worked fine and was very cheap. I had my return pump, skimmer and heater in there.

HTH

This sounds just like what I want to do!! Add water volume because they say bigger is better and relocate my Ramora protein skimmer, heater etc to the sump.

What size HOT overflow and return pump are you using? Can you send me setup details and a picture or two?

Thanks.

Well, that set up is no more so I can't take any new pics and I don't know what I have on my PC. It was fairly simple. My tank is drilled in the bottom so it drained straight down. My Berlin skimmer was near the drain and then I had the plastic container separating that and the return pump. I used a Mag7 for my return but pump size weill depend on your overflow capacity. You could go bigger if it would allow it. I got the mag7 free at the time so I used it :)

My internal overflow is rated at 650 gph so I would say it would be typical of a single U tube overflow. I have never used a HOB overflow on this tank.

Just make it simple... drain line, return line, siphon break on the return. Pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom