Single most important item

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mashpotatoes74402

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the single best item/ piece of gear. That can take the health/prosperity of my reef to the next level?!?!?

A good protein skimmer, in my opinion there is no better piece of filtration you can add than a protein skimmer. My reef creations makes some of the best stuff, what size DT do you have?

I would disagree with the protein skimmer. I have had many successful reefs without one. Your most important would be RO/DI unit. If you start with poor water your corals have no chance no matter what type of filtration you have. If you are looking for something in the tank I would say next would be filtration/pump, Whether it be a sump or HOB type filter followed by lights. Obviously all of this depends on what type of corals and or fish you are choosing to house in that tank. Just my 2 cents. :)

I would say there is no single item that will make it to the next level. Your tank will not prosper without a complete combination of several items. But if I have to choose 3 most essential items for good maintenance, I would pick ro/di, accurate test kit and the knowledge of the hobby.

I have. 34 gallon DT. It's a Red Sea max 130. Ask far as water. I use a commercial rodi filler at my grocery store. They do regular maintenance (I check).haha. I just wanted to see why everyone thought. And why

The regular maintenance may or may not involve switching out everything necessary to keep 0 TDI water. Do you have something to measure that? If not, that is an inexpensive investment.

However you get it, pure water is the best start, imho

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As long as one of us does we're good ?

A controller DA or APEX

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really? I think they are almost unnecessary, unless you travel a lot and need to know everything. They don't have much of benefit, but certainly drain your wallet...
Just curious on why?

No one mentioned high quality test kits? Interesting. I would think knowledge is the best thing to have. How many times have you all read "my fish/corals died and I don't know why"?

Good tests are a absolute must, yes... I was leaning towards the water being pure, which, as you just pointed out, cannot be known without them... Chicken... Egg....

So, good water, and a way to confirm it would have been a better way to phrase it lol

That's why the floors always wet and the fish never live.. ⚠

Yes because a controller can shut your system down if something bad happens. A controller tells temperature, ph keeps temp stable. We all know heaters can get stuck on but not with a controller, ato, lighting, skimmer, fans, chiller, pumps. You can even set it up for leak detection. Not only that but you can get updates via email right to your phone. So unless you want to be a lot more hands on than you need to be they are excellent additions.

I enjoy being very hands on with my tank :). If it was just left to a controller id get bored so fast. Now on a big system with a ton of equipment a controller can be very valuable. I however feel knowledge is the most important piece of equipment one can have.

I understand but it is nice to know if I'm taking off for the weekend and my tank leaks I will know before the whole thing gets destroyed and I can call my friend to get a handle on it.

Back
Top Bottom