Siphon break dilemma???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casimir

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just purchased a 50G glass tank, 48x15x16 with stand. I plan to setup as a reef with lots of LR / LS, inverts and minimal fish. The tank is not drilled. There is lots of room under the tank for a sump and/or fuge that I have not yet designed. I am in the sump and filtration design & research phase. I understand the basic flow of water from tank> overflow> sump> pump>> tank.

What happens when the overflow siphon breaks? The pump keeps pumping and all the sump water winds up on my living room floor. How do I prevent this? Is there an overflow that detects siphon break and turns off the pump?

Bonus Question: Point me in the right direction deciding on the type(s) of sump to consider. I will thinking to buy a 20G tank and modify to my design.

Thanks in advance for your kind reply.

What happens when the overflow siphon breaks?

The pump will keep running and overflow the tank onto the floor as you have observed. You can prevent this by using a float switch that cuts the main sump pump when the water level gets to high in the main tank. I personally have never wired up one but I know some folks have posted about doing it here in the past.

The best overflows that hang on the back IMO are the U tube style. THey will NOT break syphon unless for some reason air enters the tube from either end. The clam shell or "C" shell overflows usually come with the suggestion of attaching a powerhead to the bleeder line on the overflow to keep air out of the overflow chamber.

Bonus Question: Point me in the right direction deciding on the type(s) of sump to consider. I will thinking to buy a 20G tank and modify to my design.

Thats probably the cheapest and best idea expecially if you can fit a 20 gal under the tank. Pre made sumps are just way to expensive in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom