Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This has been a very interesting thread to say the least. LOL But informative as well.

For my tanks, I never clean the sandbed. I may on ocassion lightly swoop over the surface but thats about it. I mostly have DSB's in my tanks as well. I have found that with my circulation of water I dont often have much if anything to vacuum up.

If your vacuum thing into the sand arent you releasing all the nasty gunk that is built up in there? Like nitrates for instance? I also dont have any sand sifting stars so my sandbed is pretty much as it was when i added it.

Just wondering if I am doing the right thing. I also always advise people not to muck around in their sandbeds so I wanna be sure thats correct advice.

Thanks guys for the entertaining read thus far. Feels like I'm in college and have a massive technical reading assignment. LOL

Old 07-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't.. Read.. Anymore...

Ugh, this was a lot, but very informative. Obviously there is no direct answer to this subject and as always, there's more than one way to accomplish the same thing. I personally am tired of dealing with a sandbed and will probably do an sps only with no sand next time around.. Just seems a lot easier.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Renegade,

I think we agree overall about the subject, some minors things we have some different views but nothing wrong with that. Also this has been a great way to learn a new thing or 2 also.

Here is the one thing im not fully rapping my head around. Yes macro algae is a great form of phosphate and nitrate removal, however im unsure how you think these macro's are pulling phosphates out of your sand bed. We established phosphate in the sand bed will bind to sand, and under these conditions we also established sand and a definite lifespan based on the amount of phosphate it can bind/hold. So how is this happening where it becomes unbound regularly from the sand and freed from the sand bed to be taken up by macro algae. This is my biggest sticking point because technically the phosphate could remain bound in the sand forever.

Also as stated in the articles, the leeching process is slow and will not result in large amounts of phosphate being release from the sand. So under this logic im forced to assume that macro algae is not removing many phosphates from your sand bed. Maybe you could explain this for me if im missing something.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey

If your vacuum thing into the sand arent you releasing all the nasty gunk that is built up in there? Like nitrates for instance? I also dont have any sand sifting stars so my sandbed is pretty much as it was when i added it.
Well if you siphon your sand bed on a set schedule then really you wont have much of that nasty gunk laying there to begin with. The problem with touching sand beds left for long periods untouched is the build up of noxious gases such as hydrogen sulfide.

If you wished to begin cleaning your bed i would recommend starting slowly and only the first 2" max should probably be touched. Doing this in 20% portions will help avoid any large gas releases the few times being siphoned. After this the bottom layers can be siphoned. Again its recommended to do small portions at a time to avoid large gas release and to avoid disturbing the entire denitrification of the sand bed at the same time. If that makes sense.

For people that are having nitrate/phosphate issues while running a DSB this is what I would suggest.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco V
I'm a newbie here , all this has me confused . The end result was that a DSB should be cleaned but not all of it , correct ?
All of it can be cleaned, however to reduce impact on denitrification and microfuana it should be done in smaller amounts over longer periods of time. Doing this will ensure reproduction of lost microfuana and oxygen to become depleted again from the disturbed layers.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Ok, I have a 4-5" dsb but my sand is sugar sized grain. How should I clean it? It ALWAYS gets sucked up.
Sugar sized grain is the hardest to siphon buy ive found a way of dealing with it. The trick is using a siphon with a small diameter hose ( easier to pinch, and easier to control slow flow.

Pinching off the line before sand is sucked ip the line will allow it to fall and tumble releasing the detritus. When this happens, allow flow again momentarily, the detritus will suck up and the must again pinch the line to stop any sand from being sucked up. Its very difficult to explain and paint a picture. I may just have to do a video to show. However that might not be till friday or so when im due for a PWC.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco V View Post
I'm a newbie here , all this has me confused . The end result was that a DSB should be cleaned but not all of it , correct ?
Well I'm sorry to confuse you further, and Schism's answer will probably differ from mine, but the correct answer is that no your sandbed doesn't necessarily need to be cleaned, but yes it needs maintained. If you choose to employ the mechanical method of siphoning to try and reduce the accumulation of biodebris then you should vaccum no more than the top 1" to 1 1/2" of the sandbed. Do not vaccum by dragging, vaccum by pushing in, sucking up the gunk, and then lifting and repushing the tube back into the sandbed. Dragging will simply stir up the gunk and sand and cause it become suspended in the water column.

So what is the alternative? Biological cleaning by maintaining a healthy and diverse population of micro and macrofauna within your sandbed. How do you do this? Consistent exchanges of livestand and the benefical biofauna (need to be introduced multiple times per year - not a establish and forget it methodology). It can be done between tanks if you have multiple tanks, between friends or reef clubs, between you and a LFS (great source of diversity - every shipment has the potential to introduce new critters into the sandbed fauna - unfortantely occassionally you may get some not so great things), or by a sand exchange via shipping. For macrofauna, what you want are organisms that stir and consume debris, but not those that stir and consume the very fauna that you are trying to maintain. The difference is subtle, but it does exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
Ok, I have a 4-5" dsb but my sand is sugar sized grain. How should I clean it? It ALWAYS gets sucked up.
I'm sure Schism will probably be better able to answer your question, as this is more his area than mine. However with sugar-sized simply skimming the upper surface first to eliminate things trapped on the surface is how I would start and then most likely you have to use something similar to the pinching method Schism described to prevent your sand grains from joining the exodus.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok so my question is I have a dsb and I just do the top inch or so every pwc. In your opinion shism is that correct?
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
Ok so my question is I have a dsb and I just do the top inch or so every pwc. In your opinion shism is that correct?
Sure, what you are doing by siphoning the first inch will overall reduce the amount of organic matter that your sand bed needs to break down/convert/consume.

You could also take it a step further and siphon the lower portions in small sections over long periods of time. For example say 25% twice a year.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok well I just started doing it and my bed was unmaintained for a while so I'm just starting slow to avoid anything bad happening . Thanks

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sand, sand bed, siphon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com