Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Siphon Your Sand Bed!!

Dont think siphoning your sand bed is important?

This is 2 weeks without being siphoned, that is all detritus (fish poo). At the bottom of the bucket was a nice handful of brown sludge.

I know many people do not siphon their sand bed so i thought i would show you where those nitrates and phosphates actually come from and where it comes to rest.

Happy Reefing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1373976739.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	106692   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-349913368.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	106693  

Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No problem with doing it. That`s some good pics but a good CUC will accomplish the same thing. Thanks for sharing.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I do the same with my tank and have similar results...constantly. mine has been pretty extreme part with the algae die off from my original hair algae problem and then brown algae issue. Was pretty constant siphoning to make sure the die off didn't fuel another outbreak.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
No problem with doing it. That`s some good pics but a good CUC will accomplish the same thing. Thanks for sharing.
CUC poo too lol.

Btw this tanks CUC involves:

Sand sifting star
Cleaner shrimp
Nassarius snails
Hermit crabs
Few random snails
Brittle stars

But anyways i thought someone who doesnt siphon their sand bed would be interest to see whats laying down there. Usually i do it weekly so its never been this bad. Went 2.5 weeks this time because of the power outage and me being busy. I was quite surprised what came up.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Siphoning is a good idea for a shallow sandbed or a non functioning deep sandbed. It is not a good idea for a functioning deep sandbed. FYI, that sandsifting star should be being kept in a functioning deep sandbed. By siphoning out the debris, you are eliminating the microfauna that it utilizes as a food source. If keeping a clean sandbed by siphoning is your goal, you should rehome the seastar for its sake.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought It was bad to siphon or disturb the sand bed
Old 07-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd like to know more about your sand sifting star. I always wanted to get one in my tank to help me keep the sandbed clean. How long has yours been in there? I was always scared of the statements about them dying and never finding them. Since I have a cleaner clam in my sandbed I'm thinking I should be ok...
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Sandsifting stars sift their way through the sandbed consuming microfauna (which in turn is feed by debris) out of the sandbed. It is generally accepted that they require a deep sandbed and a large footprint (typically a minimum of 6' by 2') in order to have enough microfauna to survive long term (over three years). Small tanks or shallow sandbed or inordinately clean deep sandbed often result in them starving to death. They are typically not recommended for keeping in the hobby by most long term hobbiests, but seem to be a favorite of those new or fairly new to the hobby and LFS (as they make money selling them). It is generally agreed that the most common form of death for these stars is starvation. They do not show any outward signs of starvation prior to death, so there is no way to look at one and say, "oh its getting plenty of food" or "gosh that poor thing is starving". They do not and will not eat prepared food or even freshfood of any type. The best recommendation IMO is to not keep them.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 2" sandbed in my refugium, which has a useable space of 19x12". It has been set-up for 1 1/2 years. I've often thought about siphoning the sand, but didn't want to disturb my Macro ( sm. grape Caulerpa, Prolifera, and Chaeto) or the pods. Is this something I should do? I don't have a nitrate or phosphate issue, but have wondered if this is something I should be doing.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade
Siphoning is a good idea for a shallow sandbed or a non functioning deep sandbed. It is not a good idea for a functioning deep sandbed. FYI, that sandsifting star should be being kept in a functioning deep sandbed. By siphoning out the debris, you are eliminating the microfauna that it utilizes as a food source. If keeping a clean sandbed by siphoning is your goal, you should rehome the seastar for its sake.
Misconceptions.

The sand sifting star is almost 4 years old and he has survived even getting caught in a powerhead. DSB's are not required. Do they do well in aquariums? Not all the time. Also they are detrivores, omnivores, carnivores. The reason DSB's are recommended and why they dont usually do well is because they are put in a low bioload system that does not get fed enough. DSB's laughably better ensure more detritus/waste to feed on since essentially DSB's are nutrient 'sinks'. With proper feeding they do just fine.

But back on sand bed subject, DSB's need maintained like any other sand bed, that includes siphoning. Would like to know why you think its not a good idea?

DSB's do not export phosphate. So why wouldn't you siphon it? By not atleast occasionally siphoning a deep sand bed, you are asking for problems. This is a common reason many DSB's fail.

Tags
sand, sand bed, siphon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com