Six Line Wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am now moving on to a Six Line Wrasse . how does this guy act in a reef tank. i have snails and hermits and i think i read somthing that they eat inverts has any one had this problem?
i am trying to find 2 more fish for my tank i know 1 is going to be a o.clown but i am trying to decide on the other.

Never experienced that with mine. Mine did take to the pods and cleared them out though.

If you get a sixline, make sure it is the last fish you get. Then I think you will be OK. Mine tangled with both a royal gramma and also attacks my cleaner shrimp, and will go after the Nassarius snails if they come up out of the sand. he does not even look at any of the corals, the Astraea snails or the feather dusters. The wrasse and gramma get along great now but the wrasse really tore the gramma up when I first put the poor thing in there.

If you add one last, though, you'll be happy, I think, they are very fun little fish with lots of personality. You just can't ever let him think he's king of the tank!

cool . well i have pods he can eat thats growing fast in my tank. i dont know where they came from but he will take care of them. and thanks on the advise on adding him last. i will make shure he is. i will get my O.Clown, golby, and boxer crab first then my the little bully lol

I have had a sixline in a reef with inverts for about three years. No problems what so ever, but all fish are different. In general, they are considered community fish and reef safe but there may be the occassional rouge fish out there. Best bet is to get one that was housed with inverts without incident at the LFS. It is a great fish, IMHO.

Frogspawn said:
how many fish would be good for a 30g reef. i dont want to foul up the water quick either
A good general rule of thumb is about 1" adult fish per 5 gallons in a reef.

MT79 said:
A good general rule of thumb is about 1" adult fish per 5 gallons in a reef.

And even though this is a good rule to go by you also need to go by the type of fish he is also. Some fish are messy eaters and will drag your bioload down faster than community fish. A good example is that you could have 4 peaceful community fish or whatever added up to Mike`s General rule or 1 lion fish only as his eating habits would quickly foul up the water unless you did some PWC maint.

yea i have a clown fish now and i am looking to get a another fish after i pay for my summer semister of school. so its a good time right now for my tank to mature some. most likey i will be getting another clown. i am thinking a black and white one. and then a golby and then my sixline. then i be done on fish.
for inverts i am hoping a few more hermits and snails and then a boxer crab

do u think thats over stocked?

I have a 6 line in my 75G. Its a very active fish and needs plenty of room to play. The same is true of my yellow tail damsels. My point is even though they meet certain hypothetical criteria for a smaller tank I wouldn't do it. You would actaully be better off with a tang in 30G than a 6 line IMO. Why? (Bio load aside) Certain fish are just not as active. Wrasses are very playful (And jumpers) and need more room to stretch out even though they are physically smaller fish. I watch the damsels and wrasse run circles around my scopas, gramma and clown. IMO, with out enough space you will eventually find him on the floor taking a dirt nap. $.02

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom