Size of Leather Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailmike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm wondering how big leather corals can get. The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach has one that's 3 feet across. How long do they take to get that big? What's the biggest one in a private aquarium?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity,
Mike

Sailmike said:
I'm wondering how big leather corals can get. The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach has one that's 3 feet across. How long do they take to get that big? What's the biggest one in a private aquarium?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity,
Mike

Not that I think these are the largest in a private aquarium, here's a pic of mine, that I've had for almost 8 years. The one on the front, is an offspring of the parent behind it. And for scale, that is a 5" yellow tang, and a 4" Copperband.
Had the parent from my start, and I get about 8-10 frags a year from it.
View attachment 106737

Leathers

Those are impressive specimens you have there. So eight years to get to that size? I just read of one at some fish store that's 5 feet across. I'm guessing they get much bigger than that in the wild?

Mike

Sailmike said:
Those are impressive specimens you have there. So eight years to get to that size? I just read of one at some fish store that's 5 feet across. I'm guessing they get much bigger than that in the wild?

Mike

Thanks, they haven't always been in stellar conditions, so they would probably grow faster than they have for me, in constant great parameters. I started off with them, and had my share of problems. I never even owned a freshy, was given a 135 tall, and jumped right into a reef set-up. Maybe not the best idea, but I managed, and I'm glad I did!
WOW, a 5 footer huh!?! I never would have thought they could get that big!
Learn something new every day. Enjoy your tank!!

Had a chance to visit the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach and got some photos of the approximately 3 foot diameter leather coral. It's tough to get a good photo with the iPhone.

Attachments

• image-1173887295.jpg
    image-1173887295.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1002368799.jpg
    image-1002368799.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1969848039.jpg
    image-1969848039.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom