Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

skimmate color change

My skimmer has been producing liquid near the color of lime jello. Not quite so neon-colored as that, but very bright green.

This is a change from something between tea and coffee.

Does this indicate anything in particular?

Old 06-08-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes. It indicates that your skimmer cup is not raised enough, or something is off. It's good that it's working, but the skimmate should be much darker, almost like coffee. Foam should be dry, not liquidy.

What kind of skimmer do you have? If it is an adjustible one with a collection cup that your raise or lower, try raising it.

Let us know

Old 06-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG2182
Foam should be dry, not liquidy.

What kind of skimmer do you have? If it is an adjustible one with a collection cup that your raise or lower, try raising it.
It's an AquaC Remora. It has never produced dry skimmate, but it is not thin like water. The consistency of the simmate has not changed, only the color.

As I said, it was previously dark like tea or coffee, but now a color change with no other changes to my system. It's not a lighter version of the same color, it's a different color. Bright green. 8O
Old 06-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a Euro-Reef skimmer, and mine does the same thing every now and again. Depending on how much material there is to skim, you may get some thick stuff, and other times you get thin BRIGHT green stuff. Just cleared out a cup of it yesterday.

If it was dark at some point, then your skimmer is still perfectly fine... just needs to be slightly adjusted so not as much waste gets dumped into the cup. I adjust mine every other day, just to make sure everything is fine. In most cases, this is not needed, depending on your skimmer... but I'm anal about those kind of things and spend about 2 hours each day just fiddling with my tank.

Tags
change, color, skimmate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com