Skimmate fertilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have read that skim mate is good fertilizer either the same or better than miracle grow if diluted .
Has anyone tried this ?
Salt is not good and will kill everything ,
How would this be ?

The dark skmmate , sludge is what I'm talking about and the same ratio

I have dumped my skimmate cup into my potted mother in-laws tongue plant, and honestly, I have never seen it grow as much that last few months.. New sprouts all over the places, and just getting bigger in general. It is worth noting that I also water it pretty heavy after I dump it in.. Just to dilute it as mentioned above.. I plan on doing a fall garden later this year and am going to experiment with using skimmate on that.

Also, just a though, I would think that skimmate will contain much less salt than the actual aquarium water? Not sure, but it seems like it would make sense

Also, just a though, I would think that skimmate will contain much less salt than the actual aquarium water? Not sure, but it seems like it would make sense

It's all organic waste right ?
Exactly what plants need to thrive .

I would think that the salt content in the skimmate would be pretty low.

It should mostly contain. Nitrates , which plants like ,

Organic waste that is good .
I'm going to dump some
On the neighbors flower .
Try that ! Lol

I use my waste salt water as weed killer. Never thought to use the skim as fertilizer I know that the skim from fresh water (waste treatment) is used to make fertilizer. Another way to go green (y)

I use my old saltwater to kill weeds as well. I want to try using diluted as fertilizer, but don't produce large amounts of skim. Diluted water after water changes might be my best go.

I use my old saltwater to kill weeds as well. I want to try using diluted as fertilizer, but don't produce large amounts of skim. Diluted water after water changes might be my best go.

When diluting it 10:1 you don't need to produce much ,
Mine is a little wet but still stinks and very concentrated

I'm curious if it will work or kill from the salt that is in the water being skimmed ,
Like I said I'll try it on the neighbors plants first , lol

There should be little salt in the skim and if you still wanted to be safe, just dilute it down.. You won't have any problems

The amount of salt in the skim will not hurt the plants. Plants actually need a certain amount of sodium to be able to take up nitrogen. Skim should be a great source of proteins and minerals for plants in the same way that manure is.

Back
Top Bottom