skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumman123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone! i am new at saltwater and i have been doing research. from what i read i can use a skimmer instead of filter.

my plan is a 55-75 gallon aquarium( haven't decided) i am planning on lots of live rock a very good cleanup crew. is it ok if i use a skimmer instead of a filter?

I would get a HOB and run it anyways. You will have the ability to run carbon or GFO (not the most effective method, but it will work) if need be... I run an AquaClear 70 with a sponge and GFO, in conjunction with a skimmer...

Absolutely. Forget about the filter. There is no need to waste your money on one. Get a skimmer rated for 100-120 gallons as a boy of overkill is good.

Absolutely. Forget about the filter. There is no need to waste your money on one. Get a skimmer rated for 100-120 gallons as a boy of overkill is good.

Agreed. If it comes down to wanting to run carbon or any other filter media down the road, HOB filters are doable but not as effective as reactors. You can get reactors for pretty cheap down the road if you find yourself at that point.

And you are just as well running the media in a mesh bag if you're not set up with a reactor.

And you are just as well running the media in a mesh bag if you're not set up with a reactor.

And if there is no filter how should this be done? There is no mention of a sump here, and you cannot just drop a mesh bag in a display tank... I understand what you are trying to say, but in a simple set up like this, a HOB filter would help. If there was a sump being used, then obviously no need.

Agreed. If it comes down to wanting to run carbon or any other filter media down the road, HOB filters are doable but not as effective as reactors. You can get reactors for pretty cheap down the road if you find yourself at that point.

Agreed about a cheap reactor, but they are more effective running them in a sump. You will also have an unsightly pump in the display tank to have to look at...

I have my setup as a loaded refugium sith a sock filter and protien skimmer. I have a large canister filter on the outside with carbon and phosban filters. We just recently added a uv sterilizer and have an external filtration sysem in our chiller.. Dont be afraid to do to much! wont hurt your coral in the long run if you do it correctly! happy reefkeeping!

I'm sorry, but passive media (hanging somewhere in a mesh bag) is no where near as effective as forcing water through it.

Absolutely. Over time it has almost the same effect as bio balls and backfire..

Back
Top Bottom