Skimmer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spence0416

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will running a skimmer help cut back on algae growth. My tank has been running for about a month and a half and I'm starting to get brown and green hair algae. There is not a lot, but it is starting. Should I try adding an additional PH? I can't afford a RO unit at the moment. Also should I start testing for phosphates?

All the things you mentioned would help. Yes a skimmer would be a help, but the biggest improvement would be seen by using RO water. Its a great investment.
More water movement would help too.
BTW brown algea is very normal for the stage you are at. it should subside in time.

Test phosphates and if high think about using some kind of phosphate remover until you switch to RO water.

How much work does it take to hook up a RO unit. Does it easily connect to a sink or is there some plumbung that has to be done. What models would you suggest? Or where to purchase. I really don't know anything about these except that I should really get one if I intend on keeping a nice reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom