Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2002, 07:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Skimmer

Why is this skimmer not working? Did I buy a $150.00 piece of junk
plastic? I'm running this thing with Rio 3100. I see all kinds of
bubbles but all it skims out is water. HELP!!!!!!!!

Her are some pics of it. hope they go through!

Should I consider another "higher priced" Skimmer?

Like maybe one of those triple chambered Berlin's.

Tim.

Pics------------------------------------------>

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:42 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
skimmer

How long has your tank been set up? If it's fairly new, there may not be much in there to skim yet. If you're getting clear water in the collection cup, try backing the air off a little.
Logan J

Old 12-03-2002, 09:55 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Something I noticed from the second pic I did not see on the yahoo group photos is that the water line appears low. Where does the water line of the skimmer reside?

I like to run my water line just a fraction below the bottom of the collection cup.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
normally it runs a little below the cup. but I have a powerhead in the sump for a weak, because I am making a hospital tank for My ick stricken fish. Ever since I put it in it messes w/ the water level.

maybe your Query (fishfreek) about the ick treatment that increases slime coat has something to do with it. Perhaps I should wait another water change or two and see what happens. Tim.

These are differant pics than before cause the other ones were too big to fit on this page.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Not really a whole lot I can add to this discussion. Can I see some pics with a little more of the skimmer in it? I would play with the settings, try more water flow first, then increase the air to the venturi. sometimes skimmers are difficult to tune. What is the brand name of the skimmer?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 07:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. I checked it again this morning and now I'm starting to get some stuff off the top. but this is done this before and I have gotten little more than what you see in todays pic. I have also included a link to the manufacturer so you may see what it looks like dry. Tim.

Link----> http://www.aquaclearaquatics.com/macro.htm
Old 12-04-2002, 09:57 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well I have to say other than the water level it appears your skimmer is working properly. You have a very good volume of microbubbles in the skimmer itself. The neck of the collection cup appears to be discolored dark brown, the color of good skim, so it might just be an issue of having the water level to low in the skimmer body.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I'll wait and see. I probably expect to much. Thanxs to all. Tim
Old 12-04-2002, 08:47 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

The skimmer is described as an "in sump" skimmer. Why are you using it outside the sump? The lift of the tubing to go over the edge of the sump as well as the push back into the sump, may be causing a increase in head pressure. With the pump included, it may be that it isn't flowing enough water.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not enough room in the wet/dry. I plan to build a bigger sump, but I am about a month away from that. The LFS said it (the skimmer) would go Either way but He must have been referring to his sexual pref!!!!!!!!

Here are some shots of how the tubes feed into the wet/dry Tim.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com