Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why is this skimmer not working? Did I buy a $150.00 piece of junk
plastic? I'm running this thing with Rio 3100. I see all kinds of
bubbles but all it skims out is water. HELP!!!!!!!!

Her are some pics of it. hope they go through!

Should I consider another "higher priced" Skimmer?

Like maybe one of those triple chambered Berlin's.

Tim.

Pics------------------------------------------>

skimmer

How long has your tank been set up? If it's fairly new, there may not be much in there to skim yet. If you're getting clear water in the collection cup, try backing the air off a little.
Logan J

Something I noticed from the second pic I did not see on the yahoo group photos is that the water line appears low. Where does the water line of the skimmer reside?

I like to run my water line just a fraction below the bottom of the collection cup.

normally it runs a little below the cup. but I have a powerhead in the sump for a weak, because I am making a hospital tank for My ick stricken fish. Ever since I put it in it messes w/ the water level.

maybe your Query (fishfreek) about the ick treatment that increases slime coat has something to do with it. Perhaps I should wait another water change or two and see what happens. Tim.

These are differant pics than before cause the other ones were too big to fit on this page.

Not really a whole lot I can add to this discussion. Can I see some pics with a little more of the skimmer in it? I would play with the settings, try more water flow first, then increase the air to the venturi. sometimes skimmers are difficult to tune. What is the brand name of the skimmer?

Ok. I checked it again this morning and now I'm starting to get some stuff off the top. but this is done this before and I have gotten little more than what you see in todays pic. I have also included a link to the manufacturer so you may see what it looks like dry. Tim.

Link----> http://www.aquaclearaquatics.com/macro.htm

Well I have to say other than the water level it appears your skimmer is working properly. You have a very good volume of microbubbles in the skimmer itself. The neck of the collection cup appears to be discolored dark brown, the color of good skim, so it might just be an issue of having the water level to low in the skimmer body.

The skimmer is described as an "in sump" skimmer. Why are you using it outside the sump? The lift of the tubing to go over the edge of the sump as well as the push back into the sump, may be causing a increase in head pressure. With the pump included, it may be that it isn't flowing enough water.

Not enough room in the wet/dry. I plan to build a bigger sump, but I am about a month away from that. The LFS said it (the skimmer) would go Either way but He must have been referring to his sexual pref!!!!!!!!

Here are some shots of how the tubes feed into the wet/dry Tim.

It's hard to tell from those pics but I think you have the pump connected to the skimmer outlet and the water is returning through the skimmer intake. Take another pic backing up a hair, so I can see the skimmer as well as the pump and lines.

Nope, it's set up backwards. The arm that come in the side of the skimmer is the water inlet, the outlet is the one that is higher in the skimmer on the front.

See I thought the water inlets went through that thing-a-majiger in the middle of the skimmer. Da! I feel stupid. 8O

You have a valve on there to turn down the flow. Use it and put it back the way it shot out the top. Where the inlet comes in, it causes centrifigal motion, which actually makes the skimmer more efficient. If it goes in the other one, that is not gonna happen, and the web sight specifically advertised that the skimmer should swirl the water in. Trust me on this one. You need adjustment now, skimmers have to be adjusted to work right, some have to be fiddled with daily.

Is a rio 3100 too much power for the skimmer. And how do ya get bubbles the other way it suck the air in by itself? Should I use an air pump? And just to make sure, Your saying the pipe w/the valve going to the bottom of the skimmer is the inlet? Ihave a rio 2100 and a 1800 should I use one of them instead? Tim :?:

ReefRaff said:
Is a rio 3100 too much power for the skimmer.

Maybe, I don't know, the ad said the pump was included, is that the pump that came with it?

And how do ya get bubbles the other way it suck the air in by itself?

Yes it should, it is a venturi driven skimmer. That means ther is a hole in the inlet pipe between the pump and the skimmer. The hole is large and then constricts as it gets closer to the water flow, the water pumped past the hole draws in air, which mixes with the water. How is it getting air with it on backwards?

Should I use an air pump?

Shouldn't, no.

And just to make sure, Your saying the pipe w/the valve going to the bottom of the skimmer is the inlet?

Yes, the one at the top of the skimmer is attatched to the tube that runs down the center of the skimmer. There is a tube around that pipe, that is attatched to the bottom plate of the skimmer. This design in theory will keep air bubbles (bouyant) from getting in the return pipe.

Ihave a rio 2100 and a 1800 should I use one of them instead? Tim :?:

Don't know, if there is a valve to slow the flow, I'd stick with the larger pump.

Back
Top Bottom