Skimmer Adjustment Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've been running my Remora Pro for about a month now. I'm really confused as to what exactly I should be collecting in the cup. My adjustment on the cup height is all over the place. I can't seem to get it right. Some days I get a half cup of really dark water, other days I come home from work and its FILLED with almost clear water. It seems like if I adjust the band to sit the cup any lower than the highest possible position, the cup quickly fills within 10 minutes.

What exactly should I be collecting each day? About a cup of dark water? That never seems to happen. Should I be able to place the cup lower in the skimmer than the very highest setting? AND, would there be any reason why the cup fills so quickly on some days with clear water?

Its been a while since I posted a question, but I've got more to come unfortunately.

Thanks all.

- Skins

You should be collecting dark, thick water... almost like watered down coffee. If you are pulling out what seems like watered down tea... you need to adjust the cup higher so that only the thick stuff comes out. Everyone has different amounts coming out per their specific tanks... so it's hard to say how much you "should" have. If the clear water fills the cup, that means that it is too low, and that all the regular water is merely dumping in... not good. Won't damage the unit at all... but you want the liquid to be thick.

Should smell to high heaven. :D Rich creamy goodness that was once in your tank.

I think RLG meant "Rich creamy sewage that was once in your tank." Indeed skimmate should be almost as dark as coffee (hold the cream), and should smell most unpleasant.

Weird. Do you guys have any ideas why my cup is as high as it possibly can go and I've never collected black coffee? Maybe a half cup of a Tall Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha with whipped cream and skim milk, but never coffee.

Why would my skimmer be dumping water into the cup? I did use water conditioner when cycling but that was almost 3 months ago and I've done a bunch of water changes since. Could it STILL be the conditioner?

Thanks again all.

- Skins

The bottom of the cup just just sit at the waterline in the skimmer, maybe a few mm's in the water.

On this skimmer is the waterflow adjustable ? turn the flow down a little bit and maybe turn down the air intake a little as well until the unit is "seasoned". If you are getting constant large bubbles overflowing into the cup and clear water, turn the water flow down a little. There is really no exact science to skimmers. Just need to fiddle with it till its skimming correctly HTH.

Back
Top Bottom