Skimmer and Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have a 50 gallon soon to be reef. I don't have a sump or overflow and have this film on top of the water. I am about to purchase this skimmer http://www.aquamaxxaquariums.com/AquaMaxx_HOB_Skimmers.html. I was wondering do I need a canister filter or HOB filter also or would live rock, live sand and this skimmer be enough? I also have a mp10 power head but wouldn't 2 hydor's be good since I can direct flow to the surface and the other over the rocks? I haven't hooked the Mp10 up yet so not sure how it works.

The skim on the surface of the water can be removed just by pointing a powerhead at the surface, but the mp10 should be able to do the trick for that. They are pretty powerful little buggers from what I'm told.

I don't know much about the aquamaxx skimmers personally. You don't really want a canister on a reef. Reefs tend to use sumps with refugiums as there are less issues with nitrates building up in them, since canisters require weekly cleaning. You also shouldn't need a HOB filter. When I wanted to run carbon/gfo in my system I invested in a dual reactor from BRS. Much more effective to use it in this way.

Back
Top Bottom