Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skimmer and Purigen...redundant?

Does using a skimmer eliminate the need to run Purigen (on a 20 gallon setup)? Both remove dissolved organics but I would imagine the skimmer does a better job.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

They attack the problem from two different directions. Skimmers, using the surface tension of the bubbles, remove long chain protein molecules which is the first stage of waste breakdown. Purigen bonds to other DOC's and works similar to GFO. I use it rather than GFO because I can recharge it.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
They attack the problem from two different directions. Skimmers, using the surface tension of the bubbles, remove long chain protein molecules which is the first stage of waste breakdown. Purigen bonds to other DOC's and works similar to GFO. I use it rather than GFO because I can recharge it.
Greg, I was thinking of doing the same and removing my GFO. How many times have you recharged it and do you run it in a reactor or just a media flag in a high flow area?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm trying to consolidate the HOBs on my tank. Right now, the filter only holds Purigen. I want a HOB skimmer but would like to ditch the filter to eliminate crowding. I wonder if I can put the pouch on the outlet of the skimmer..
Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post

Greg, I was thinking of doing the same and removing my GFO. How many times have you recharged it and do you run it in a reactor or just a media flag in a high flow area?
I add a little bit to the batch some fresh every time as some escapes. But the batch has been recharged several dozen times and seems to keep on working. You just have to be careful with the recharge process as it uses bleach. In a small system it is critical that the bleach is completely neutralized. but not with a chlorine remover that has a slime coat promoter in it. That stuff can coat the Purigen and ruin i I bought a $65 LifeGard fuiidized sand filter and used Purigen rather than sand in it. It has to be throttled way back as the Purigen is light but it works. There is a video of this on YouTube that I got the idea from. Purigen needs water contact time, so running it slowly works fine.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
I'm trying to consolidate the HOBs on my tank. Right now, the filter only holds Purigen. I want a HOB skimmer but would like to ditch the filter to eliminate crowding. I wonder if I can put the pouch on the outlet of the skimmer..

You can place it in one of those synthetic mesh socks and let the skimmer run off go over it.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
You can place it in one of those synthetic mesh socks and let the skimmer run off go over it.
Basically cut open the pouch and tie (securely) the sock to the outlet? I'm going to try to figure out a way to make it a little more visually appealing, maybe conceal the whole thing in a small black acrylic box (like a mini-milk crate).
Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd look at something similar to SeaChem's The Bag. Might be exactly what you are looking for.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's basically what the 100mL pouch is, just heat sealed. I'll pick one up the next time I'm at the LFS and investigate.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I always bought my purigen loose in a can. I picked up The Bag for use with PhosGuard. The nice thing about it is that it comes with a big "zip tie" to close it up. It might be able to hold it onto the return from your skimmer.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com