Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Skimmer ate my damsel

Bummer. While I was away today somehow my little three stripe damsel got sucked into my HOB skimmer. He had to of jumped to get into the protective basket for the intake. Poor guy survived my uneducated fish cycling process only to die this way. Making it worse, he clogged it enough to raise some pressure and now the darn skimmer is leaking all over the place. I've got it all apart and I will re-assemble with some sealant this time. Lesson learned, cover the box.

125 gl (72.5x18.5x22), 33 breeder tank sump, 3 maxspect led, Diablo protein skimmer, 1"live sand base, 175lbs live rock, 2 Orange Clowns, 1 yellow tang, lawnmower blenny,several mushrooms and leather corals, a couple small acro's and a standard cuc. Tank transferred from 55 on 24 Dec 2011
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

its not a protective basket, its a surface skimmer. most of the organics in an aquarium float on the surface, so the basket acts like an over flow so it skims the top doign a more better job of removing organics
Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, damsel, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com