Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to loganizzi
Skimmer "break-in period"

Does anyone know why a skimmer requires a break-in period of 3 days - 1 week? I repeatedly hear this, but don't quite understand what exactly needs breaking in and why it doesn't just start to do the job immediately after hook up? The skimmer doesn't have many parts, and it's all just basically a bunch of plastic with a ph attached (or similar). How do the dynamics of the tank change after you have had the skimmer attached for a week that allows it to start functioning?

Just curious...

Old 04-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Well for the skimmer to work properly it has to be coated with the DOC, not sure why, maybe the plastic by itself has too much drag, or not enough?? but for it to work it needs to be coated, if you ever run your finger across the inside of the skimmer (not the cup), you'll feel a slimy film. The skimmer works best after that has built up, depending on the DOC level in your tank and maintenance practices...that could take from a couple of hours to a day to up to a week.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good point, didn't think about the slimy coating...

Thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, related to this discussion - I just purchased a Seaclone 100 and no matter how I adjust it, it injects a stream of fine bubbles into the tank. I assume this is because it is new and is not broken in. If this is true, should I just turn off the bubbles and let it just push water through the powerhead until the break in period is over? Or is the bubble generation a critical piece of the whole break in process?

If I am wrong, and it shouldn't inject bubbles into the tank, even when just out of the box, then what else can I adjust besides the amount of aeration?

If you can't already tell, I'm a skimmer virgin and have not yet been able to get one to function properly (this is my second attempt).

By the way tank load on my 3 month old 45gal. is currently 1 perc. clown, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 pink damsel, 1 blue damsel, bunch of hermit crabs (blue, red), 2 peppermint shrimp, assorted snails and a brittle star.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a Sea Clone 100 just a week old as well and am amazed at what a good job it does. I was using a standard prism and had a lot of trouble with it holding a prime and pump failure. My Sea Clone only took a couple of days to break in and now It looks like it is much more efficient then the Prism. I dump my skimmer return back into the diversion section of the sump so any returned bubbles have a chance to float to the top and not back to the tank. The one thing I noticed about the Sea Clone is that it pumps a lot more total volume through the skimmer then the prism does. I thought at first I would have a bubble problem as well but I have not seen any evidence of that as of yet. The one thing I would suggest is to turn your air intake down some until you are seeing dark liquid starting to collect in the cup. Once this starts you can start to increase yourair intake.

Tags
rio, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com