Skimmer Broken??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayna

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm haveing problems with my red sea skimmer. First i cant get the flow right, theres always to much water pouring into the cup. i've been tweaking it for about 3 weeks now.

alos i cant get the skimmer to run for longer then 5 hours. after 5 hours it stops the intake of water and runs dry, i've come home mayne times and find the skimmer has been running dry for hours.

is it broken?

help asap is much appreciated cause right now i cant even have it running.

I'm guessing you mean the red sea prizm skimmer - the hang on variety??
My advice for what it's worth is to find a nice cozy trash bin for it!
My unit did exactly what you describe for around 9 months and then flooded my hardwood floors! Never did skim anything much at all.
These things need cleaning about 100 times a day to work, VERY stable water levels and a lot of luck!

Just my 2c....

Andy.

I disagree as I've been very happy with mine..

Anyways, I wouldn't expect any pump to last long after running dry for hours like that. You either need to get hold of a new "energizer" or as Andy suggested replace the skimmer.

I beg to differ from Smither's opinion. I've had a Prizm for going on 2 years now and have had very little problems with it. It ran dry once while I was on vacation and I've had to replace the energizer and impeller because of it. Only a $20 fix.

First i cant get the flow right, theres always to much water pouring into the cup
Be sure you have the air intake hose on the correct barb on the collection cup...the left hole is for priming and the right hole is for normal operation.

How long have you had the skimmer? Maybe it just needs a good cleaning, every skimmer will need cleaned out every few months. If its been running in your tank for months, take it out...clean out the intake U-tube, rinse the inside out well and remove the energizer unit from the bottom. The impeller should easily pull out of the energizer and be free of gunk and calcium deposits. Clean out the energizer well and rinse off the impeller. If it looks like there is any calcium build-up then soak the impeller and/or the energizer well with white vinegar. Reassemble and fire it up.

The prizm can be feisty to adjust, prime the unit to get water flowing through and then move the air intake hose to the right hole. Turn back the flow so that it is about a 1/4-1/2" below the rubber "O" ring on the collection cup. You really just have to get a feel for the adjustment, it is touchy but after a month or so I got used to it. If the unit is still overskimming then you may have something in your water that is causing the excessive foam ie. additives or chemicals of some kind. Some coral epoxies will make my skimmer skim like mad for up to a week. All in all, the prizm isn't as nice as some more expensive skimmers, but those of us who bought it probably didn't have the 150-200 for the more expensive skimmers.

Oh ya..if you don't have it, look into getting the filter media basket..great for running carbon and other stuff. HTH

jackdp said:
Turn back the flow so that it is about a 1/4-1/2" below the rubber "O" ring on the collection cup. You really just have to get a feel for the adjustment
Exactly!

did all that.

and i do have the carbon in the basket.

i'll take it apart and look at the propeller and stuff.

i've had it for about 7 months now, so i know how to "tweak" it and where the levels should be.

i'm just wondering if its broken.

Back
Top Bottom