Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2003, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

skimmer collection cup guck

i can belive what was in my skimmers collection cup , i installed my skimmer yeasterday and today it had this brown sludge that stunk! i was surprised too see that in there as my water looked crystal clear, for those of you that dont use a skimmer take a look in a collection cup at an lfs and ill bet you will walk out of the store with a skimmer.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:49 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
8O 8O

Old 09-29-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Way to go e-cat. If you look at your tank thru the LONG side of the tank your water might look more clear/yellow than crystal clear. Take a white 5 gal bucket and fill it with tank water and you will definatly see a yellow tint compaired to a fresh 5 gal bucket of saltwater.

The tank looks clear because all those disolved solids are diluted in the water. (this is why we say larger tanks are better). When the skimmer concentrates all those solids into the skimmer cup you end up with that dark brown/black sludge.

Think of your skimmer as a kind of home sewage processing plant for your tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Doesn't it just bother the heck out of you when you pull that gunk out of the cup, and realize that was just in your beautiful fish tank?

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have that yellowish tinge to my freshwater tank Fishfreek.

Think a skimmer would be any good on a FW tank?
Old 09-29-2003, 07:56 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
No.

The reason is that in a saltwater tank the surface tension of the water molicules is higher allowing for this type of filtration. I have heard of skimmers on FW systems but they are HUGE. Like a 10' tall 5" diamater skimmer and they are still less efficent than a smaller skimmer on a saltwater setup.

To rid a FW tank of yellowish water use fresh AC and change it out on a regular schedule.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Way to go e-cat. If you look at your tank thru the LONG side of the tank your water might look more clear/yellow than crystal clear. Take a white 5 gal bucket and fill it with tank water and you will definatly see a yellow tint compaired to a fresh 5 gal bucket of saltwater.

The tank looks clear because all those disolved solids are diluted in the water. (this is why we say larger tanks are better). When the skimmer concentrates all those solids into the skimmer cup you end up with that dark brown/black sludge.

Think of your skimmer as a kind of home sewage processing plant for your tank.

iv noticed that when iv taken water out for a water change how its sort of yellow.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Quote:
No.

The reason is that in a saltwater tank the surface tension of the water molicules is higher allowing for this type of filtration. I have heard of skimmers on FW systems but they are HUGE. Like a 10' tall 5" diamater skimmer and they are still less efficent than a smaller skimmer on a saltwater setup.

To rid a FW tank of yellowish water use fresh AC and change it out on a regular schedule.

I have been...5gal a day for 2 weeks.

My arms hurt.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just ordered an Aqua C Remora for my tank. Can't wait to get it, get it running and see what it pulls out.
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:59 PM   #10

Swishy,

Is that the little one you used to have as an avatar? Growing up fast! 8O

Tags
cup, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com