Skimmer going nuts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I used an aquarium epoxy and it is making my skimmer crazy. I left it of with just water running through it for 2 days now and it still is a big problem. When I turn it on, the cup fills up and bubbles go flowing into the tank rapidly, taking a while to settle. What should i do?!? I saw an increase in algae because of it being off.

How can a tiny bit of epoxy of any kind cause this reaction? Sounds like whatever it is is affecting the surface tension of the tank water. That usually takes something that is either soapy or lots of long chain organic molecules. What kind of epoxy was it? I would sure try to dilute the problem as Mr_X said.

Yeah, I don't know about epoxy being the cause either, but whenever the skimmer overflows, water changes fix it! Did you wash your hands before putting them in the tank?

mr_X said:
Yeah, I don't know about epoxy being the cause either, but whenever the skimmer overflows, water changes fix it! Did you wash your hands before putting them in the tank?

Yes, I think some type of surfactant got introduced.

I did wash my hands but I used almost the whole stick. It just didn't stay put lol. The water is being mixed atm

So I did my pwc. A 5 gallon. Its not bubbling over anymore but a bunch of bubbles still get into the tank. It makes it look like there's a lot of detritus in the tank. Is there any way I could fix this?

The bubbles won't hurt corals? There are a lot. It looks cloudy when it's on. I was going to make a bubble trap but cant before my trip.

It shouldn't hurt them. How are you going to break that thing in if you don't run it. Run it adjusted all the way down.

Back
Top Bottom