Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2002, 05:43 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Skimmer has gone buggy...

Yesterday I added a pincusion leather (Sarcophyton species) to my tank. Almost immediately the skimmer started producing microbubbles. The bubbles are so small they lack boyuancy (you know the kind that hang around for 1/2 an hour after you turn off the skimmer), so I am assuming the leather was producing something in it's slime that disagreed with the skimmer. I tore the skimmer down and cleaned it using bleach and have done a couple of water changes (anyone else have problems with IO mixing crystal clear?). I am waiting a few hours before turning the skimmer on, water changes tend to disagree with it too, anyone else experience this problem with a leather before? Anything else I can do to correct the problem?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 06:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well i dont have any real advice but just a comment.

My IO mixes clear. Are you saying yours is cloudy or not clear?

Is this a new bucket of salt mix?

Can you adjust your skimmer's air intake? With the prizim when I ran itas a skimemr i could shut the air valve off and let it just push water. Usualy after a day or so I could turn the air valve back on.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 06:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Well i dont have any real advice but just a comment.

My IO mixes clear. Are you saying yours is cloudy or not clear?
Not clear/cloudy. I have experienced this for several years, sometimes it mixes crystal clear, but the majority of the time there is a residual cloudiness, even after mixing for 24hrs. The first few times I encountered it, I thought the magnesium had precipitated out of solution, but this usually only occurs if the salt mix has been moist and clumped up.

Quote:
Is this a new bucket of salt mix?
Bag, and no. I did however experience the problem when this and other bags were new.

Quote:
Can you adjust your skimmer's air intake? With the prizim when I ran itas a skimemr i could shut the air valve off and let it just push water. Usualy after a day or so I could turn the air valve back on.
I can adjust the air intake, but if I completly shut off the air, the water flows up into the cup and then onto the floor. The skimmer is not what I would call the best, but it has done a pretty good job in the past.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com