Skimmer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squeeky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is 230l would it hurt to get a skimmer that takes a tank capacity of 400l ?

no - actually better.

Sometimes manufactures inflate there numbers slightly.

And in SW world the "plus one rule" is good to follow. It allows for growth and larger bio load

So the bigger skimmer I can accommodate the better then yeah

well I am not sure if there is a thing as too much skimming, but if I wouldn't go much bigger than one or two steps up.

If you have additonal money to put toward a skimmer go for a super high quality skimmer

Depending on what corals your keeping you very well could over skim the water. Sps isn't an issue but softies actually do need trace levels of nitrate to build their tissue. A good rule of thumb is get a skimmer that is rated for double what your total water volume is (for example 40 breeder with 20 sump would do well with a skimmer rated for 120gallons)

I have a lot of soft corals and just started getting a few hard corels

Ya you should be fine then with a skimmer rated for 400l... Even if you would buy a monster skimmer that could potentially over skim the tank all you would need to do is tune it down a bit. This gives you the option of not having to buy a new skimmer for each upgrade in size.

Back
Top Bottom