Skimmer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marman2014

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
has anyone seen or used one of these octopus reef skimmers? Was bought online used and have no idea how to get it going.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421472271.947365.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its not a bh 1000. Its an older version that they likely don't make anymore.

I can't really see what pieces you have laying around inside it, but assuming they are all there there should be a clip with a screw that slides in those black slots to keep it secured to the tank.

After that it's really just plug and play. Fill it about halfway, plug it in, plug the hole on the black tube that you're holding until it draws enough water to flow through, and then release it.

The box on the top right will control the amount of skimmate you get. The higher it is, the dryer your skim will be.

There are likely some screens that you will have to play with to get in the right places. But I would need some more pictures to help with tjat.

In a nut shell - hang the skimmer over the edge with the 2 gray pipes in the water. Fill the skimmer up manually. Plug in. You will likely need to prime it to get it started (plugging the end of the air hose with the tip of your finger until you see water flowing through, and then remove your finger).

Are there loose parts in the chamber itself?

There should be some sort of collection cup that will go somewhere on the top of the skimmer...

In a nut shell - hang the skimmer over the edge with the 2 gray pipes in the water. Fill the skimmer up manually. Plug in. You will likely need to prime it to get it started (plugging the end of the air hose with the tip of your finger until you see water flowing through, and then remove your finger).

Are there loose parts in the chamber itself?

Works okay soon as finger comes off water drains back down. Yes I have cup I didn't think was needed to get it started

Yea it will drain back down a bit... But it should be bubbling up right?

Not all but then just gurgles real loud

I'll try video from start to finish to show how it works

Do you have a pic of the level it drains out to?

Does that black tubing look like it should be there, or was it added by someone?

I think you're plugging the wrong hole. The larger black plastic round tube should be the one that goes to the pump. Try plugging that one instead.

I think you're plugging the wrong hole. The larger black plastic round tube should be the one that goes to the pump. Try plugging that one instead.

Agree. I'm trying to figure out what that smaller black tube even is. It looks like a hack add on DIY something or other... The large black barrel looking thing is the silencer that is connected to the Venturi of the pump.

For reference, the thing you should be plugging looks like this. That blue tube shouldn't be there. Try to get an airline valve and close it off.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421528774840.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421528774840.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom