Skimmer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all. Setting up my 93 gallon cube tank and I am having some skimmer issues. I picked up a used deltec sc1455 skimmer which was working perfectly in another display tank. Set in in my sump on an egg crate platform in just under 9 inches of water which is in the parameters of the skimmer as per the manufacturer. Now keep in mind this is 50% new salt water and other half was from an established tank to help cycle faster. Currently have no live stock but wanted to try and get the skimmer tuned even if i wasn't collecting anything. I can not get a foam head to start and the water level is at the top of the regulation tube and still can't get foam high enough to reach the cup. Only thing I notice is that I am missing the regulater on the Venturi line from the pump. So it is just free flowing air. Is this the cause of my problems or is it since I have no real nitrates and new water that is causing me the issue. Any help would be appreciated. Also the Venturi line is not clogged because when I put my finger over it I notice a huge difference in water level in the skimmer.

Last edited:
would it be best if I shut the skimmer off till I run the tank for a few weeks? There are trace amounts of nitrate in the water but extremely low. About 10 ppm. I just figured I could get the skimmer tuned. I think I am just getting a little to antsy. But when I noticed the regulater valve missing I am getting worried

I agree. If it's making bubbles and no foam is appearing then there are not enough organics in the water to create the surface tension needed to establish a foam "stack." BTW skimmers don't remove nitrates or phosphates, they remove organic molecules like proteins before they break down into phosphates and nitrates. That's why it's called a protein skimmer. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thanks Greg so once I get some organic waste going and I am still having this issue I will look into it further. But do you think I will be okay running the skimmer without the Venturi line regulater/ ball valve.

Yes. As long as you can keep the water level consistently where you want it. Several things control that, level in the sump, airflow and water output (and or input) from the skimmer are all adjustable to get the right levels in the riser tube. In general you want the maximum airflow.

Last edited:
6X3cLzyoAstmDJY48

Okay I guess that is where the test and tune come into play. I have been in the hobby for quite a few years and I can't remember having this much difficulty setting up a new skimmer where I can't get the foam high enough in the skimmer to even come close to reaching the cup at the skimmers highest water level. I will try and post a picture.

Last edited:
Link didn't work. You could add a bit of shrimp juice to see if it picks that up. But I bet it settles in as the bio load increases.

Yeah I am having trouble with Google pics. I will give the skimmer some more time to break in. I am getting lots of flow from the pump. Once I get some waste in there I will post how it's doing. Thanks

One more question. If my tank is cycled but have no live stock should I just turn the skimmer off till I start producing bio load?

If your tank is cycled, why no livestock? How long do you plan on leaving empty? You need some waste in there or the bacteria will die off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Couple more days. This is my first attempt at a reef setup. Not sure how I am going to start stocking yet. Most likely this weekend I will start.

Just a quick update. Took my platform apart made longer legs so it was only sitting in 8 inches of water and it works perfectly now. So if anyone is running a deltec sc1455 make sure it is not in water over 8 inches even though manufacturer says that is within parameters. I found a couple helpful posts on this as well. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom