Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2003, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to tpaparazzo
skimmer help

Ok I have a jetsream system by marineland..Waters flows in down in to the rtidepool 2 filter into the sump bucket and gets pumped back in.. I have my heater in the bucket where the return pump is.

I just got a red sea berlin turbo classic protein skimmer and I have some questions I need answered before I start...I am placing the skimmer in the sump..I see it has a water intake then 2 outs at the top...

What should connect to the outtakes??

In the sump there is going to be a pump for the skimmer and a pump for the return is this ok? seems weird..Is this where I should place the skimmer??

IM CONFUSED

Please help the outs on the skimmer are throwing me off..Its just gonna flow out and make alot of noise..SHould I put tubing ??

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Old 09-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Flexible threaded tubing can connect to the outtakes and you can then direct the water anywhere the same height as the outtakes or LOWER. The water coming out of the skimmer cannot be directed higher than the outflow tubes, or it will back up. Have the water flow out some tubing back into your sump and then the return pump will pump the water back into your tank. Running tubing will simply cut back on bubbles that might get into the return pump (which make noise, and you don't want a lot of bubbles hanging around the display tank). I hope this helps you out, and if it does not, the manual that should've shipped with it can show you a few diagrams. An online link to that manual is:

http://www.redseafish.com/Languages/95/PDF/128.PDF

It does require Adobe Acrobat Reader (which is free). Hope this helps, and if I am mistaken, someone correct me . I have a Berlin XL.

Old 09-07-2003, 06:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to brewercm
One other thing is to make sure the outlets don't go below the water level the returns going too. This will cause a back pressure and water will start coming out of the two vent tubes and the skimmer won't work properly.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help guys..SO in my sump there will be on the left part of the sump tub, the skimmer pump which pumps in to the protein skimmer..then the skimmer next to it connected by flex tube..Outlets then have flextube back down to the sump tub under the water???....Then the air pump for the aquarium on the right hand side pumping back??? Right??

My question is I have been reading that you cant have your outlets under water....So I CAN OR CANT run flex tube and put it back into the sump bucket under the water..If not and it can be submersed(the tube) wont that make a hell of alot of noise as water is flowing out of the outlets??

Thanks again for all your answers
Old 09-07-2003, 09:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help guys..SO in my sump there will be on the left part of the sump tub, the skimmer pump which pumps in to the protein skimmer..then the skimmer next to it connected by flex tube..Outlets then have flextube back down to the sump tub under the water???....Then the air pump for the aquarium on the right hand side pumping back??? Right??

My question is I have been reading that you cant have your outlets under water....So I CAN OR CANT run flex tube and put it back into the sump bucket under the water..If not and it can be submersed(the tube) wont that make a hell of alot of noise as water is flowing out of the outlets??

Thanks again for all your answers
Old 09-07-2003, 10:27 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You can not run the outlets under water...the skimmer will not function properly. It really won't make all that much noise as there isn't that much flow through the skimmer. You can run them (the outlets) close to the water level in the sump which will quiet it down some. You don't have to put the skimmer in the sump...it can sit outside as long as it dumps into the sump. I always use PVC pipe on mine instead of the flex tubing.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks again..Ill get some pvc tommorrow and make an outlet as close to the max water line as possible without going under the water...as always everyones help on this board makes things alot easier!

Tags
skimmer, skimmer help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com