skimmer is skimming too much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
My protein skimmer is producing large amounts of foam, resulting in nearly clear, very watery skimmate. I've emptied the collection cup twice today. This is a small, in-tank skimmer.

I moved the skimmer higher in the water so the foam would have to climb higher before being deposited in the cup, but this doesn't seem to have slowed things down any.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Has this been happening all along or has it just started? Certain water conditioners or additives could be causing a short term situation.

This has just started. Previously the skimmer was producing liquid the color of tea. I've turned down the bubbles in the column, but my real question is: what would cause this sudden change with no other changes to the system (that I can think of, anyway).

As phases stated above it is usually some kind of water conditioner that has been added to the tank. It produces a slime on everything and will skim out in the form of lots and lots of bubbles. If you have not added any water conditioners etc I am stumped

Just the regular water conditioners that I use with each regular water change. I did do a water change today... I guess that must be it. But this hasn't happened with water changes in the past.

Strange, but I guess no harm done.

Back
Top Bottom