Skimmer issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smithcinema

Aquarium Advice Activist
Added a swc 160 skimmer to my system . Why I don't know my tank was doing great with out it but all I hear is it's the most important part of the tank but now I regret it !! First I get micro bubbles for a day after it starts up next the temp went up 1.6 degrees and when u shut return pump off or a power outage the thing overflows when the power returns how do I prevent this from happening ??? It's a real pain had the thing dialed in real nice pulling out major skimmate and shut the system off to do a water change and when I turned every thing on it was flowing over like crazy !!! I can't worry about this when I'm not home I have very expensive wood floors 1 overflow and my wife says everything gets flushed and the tank goes !!! What would cause this never heard any one ever complain about overflow when power returns

Is it set up in-sump?
A new skimmer takes a few weeks to break in.
Your skimmer needs to sit in 7 "-10" of water. When the main pump shuts off the sump must be filling above that mark, so when the power comes back on the skimmer overflows. It should just be overflowing in the sump, so I don't see where the flooding issue comes into play.

If you could delay start the skimmer by a few minutes then the problem would be solved. If not then you need to shut down the skimmer, empty and replace the cup, then start skimmer. Rather common problem with in-sump skimmers.

As for the temperature rise, sounds like the skimmer pump is running very hot if that is the only change.

Skimmer working great pulling out some serious dark skimmate it's dialed in great BUT when I do a water change and restart the skimmer it overflows then I have to open gate valve all the way wait 2 hours and re dial it in real annoying !!! Is that normal makes me not want to do a water change and mess up my tuning because it's working real good

I don't have that skimmer, but your description is not normal behavior. When I do a pwc I shut down the skimmer, then the main pump. Afterwards I start the main pump, wait for the sump level to drop to near normal (tank full, overflows dumping into the sump), then I turn the skimmer back on. No overflow, if just goes back to normal operations.

I do the same thing but I get about a full cup of over flow I even wait a min before turning skimmer back on !!! I only have to wait about a hour then I can redial in the skimmer but it's annoying maybee because it's only 2 weeks old

Skimmers take a few weeks to break in from the manufacturing oils. You can remove it and use white vinegar as an overnight bath followed by many freshwater rinses to get there faster.
For now, give it another couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom