Skimmer just died - a couple of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, my ka-ka coralife skimmer died and I just ordered a new skimmer. I'm concerned because I'm certain it won't get to me for a week (given the holiday season etc). I ordered a new clam that will arrive on Thursday. Does anyone see a problem with not using a skimmer for a week or so?

Suggestions?

If you have kept up on your partial water changes and your water parameters are in good shape I do not see how going with out a skimmer for a week could hurt. You should not have any problems IMO

Don't think Roka runs one at all! I'm sure he'll chime in here pretty quick!

I don't think you'd have any issues. Only thing I might do is not overdo feeding any zoo or phyto or things along that line. (Not that I'd overdo it anyway... but you know what I mean!)

You`ll be OK for a week or two Msbeanctr. Just throw in a PWC instead and you are good to go. I run mine 24/7 but I know some folks that only run it one or two weeks a month.

Yeah, I don't run a skimmer, but I have not added clams. I do plan on it, but as stated, keep up with the PWCs and you should be good to go.

You'll be fine. As stated do an extra PWC to help if necessary.
If you decide to feed the clam, take it out of the tank and feed it in a bowl of tank water. Do not put that water back in the tank. For small clams this is a very good method of feeding them anyway. The water is saturated with phyto. Leave the clam in there for 15 -30 minutes, some will go longer. Try to keep the temp close to the tank temperature too.

Ok, thanks very much for the input. I've been pretty good about 20% pwc every week. I might squeeze in another pwc on Wednesday eve. I ordered a ASM-G2 Saltwater Protein Skimmer. It's rated for a 200 gallon tank-since my tank is only 72 gallons I'm hoping I'll be fine.

Has anyone heard anything about this skimmer?

I've heard of the ASMs and they tend to be a a good brand.

That is a great article melosu. Thank you for the info roka and cmor. The skimmer is scheduled to arrive on Friday so I won't have to go as long as I thought without one.

I just got the skimmer hooked up. I have only two negative comments about it so far.....boy! that thing is noisy and the instructions are terrible! No instructions for adjustments....and the installation instructions were simply a picture (yes, that is one picture). But, on the positive side.....it's doing a great job with skimming. Thanks folks!

Back
Top Bottom