skimmer not skimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my aqua c remora stopped skimming out junk for the last 2 days. the foam is just not making it all the way up the tower into the cup. the cup is at its lowest position. i am only feeding one fish a few pellets a day and the corals once a week. my algae has also gone to almost nothing. is there just nothing to skim right now?

steve r

How long have you had the skimmer? If you have had it for a few month then maybe you need to clean the injector.

If the skimmer is new or fairly new and yoru tank is fairly young then you may have just skimmed out all that there is to skim for now.

Well wth my remora their is a plastic screw that if you take the collection cup off you can unscrew on the left side. You then take the small pipe cleaner that comes with your skimmer (mine did) and use it to clean out the injection nozzle. Then put the plastic screw back being careful not to over tighen it.

When I did this my remora increased its skim output nearly right away.

mine doesnt have that it just has a hose comming out of the pump with this air valve thisng on it

thanks fish freek. my tank is pretty young. about 2.5 months. i have had the skimmer that long also. just this week my tank really cleaned up. hardly any algae and very clear. maybe my skimmer skimmed most of the crud like you said. i will clean the injector anyway. it cant hurt

thanks
steve r

You can also check the pump. You can take the pump apart & clean the impeller while the skimmer is down for cleaning. While I've got my taken apart, I'll take mine outside & clean the body out with the waterhose. I've blasted junk & sponges out of mine. And like it was said before, take the plastic screw out & run a small bottle brush through the nozzle.

jester said:
mine doesnt have that it just has a hose comming out of the pump with this air valve thisng on it

That doent sound like a remora C then. My remora has no airvalve.

If the pumps on the AquaC's get dirty the skimmer will skim poorly. Also make sure the collection cup neck is clean or the foam will not make into the cup it will just collect as a thick coating in the neck!

Back
Top Bottom