Skimmer not skimming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterVirgin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an Aqua Clear protein skimmer that I just started a couple of days ago. For some reason, the water level will not reach the minimum water level of the skimmer. I see lots of foam and even trashy stuff in it at the surface. However, the trash is not reaching the collection cup.

I've tried adding more water to my sump but water level in the sump and the skimmer remain the same. HELP! How do I get this skimmer to work properly!

Also, I have a powerhead with a venturi line that use to spray air bubbles in the tank. When I unplugged it a few days ago to install the skimmer, the air bubbles stopped but the powerhead is still working. I'm concerned about not supplying enought oxygen to my tank since I have a glass top. HELP!

The aqua clear skimmer should have a air regulator on the end of the venturi tube. This will need to be tightend until the water level gets to the level line... You may have to purschase an airline screw typr valve for it...Mine came with a cap looking regulator that did not work...I got a screw type one at the LFS for a couple of dollars and it works great...

You may need to take the powerhead out and clean the film out of it and put it back in...This always worked for me...One thing though, you may not want to use it in the tank because of salt creep...If you have an overflow and a sump, you should be getting well enough oxygen into the water...

Thanks. I have a black screw valve on the venturi line. When I have it wide open, it increase the water level about 1-2 inches shy of the minimum water level line.

Now, I noticed that when I restricted the flow from the exit tube of the skimmer with my hand, the water level increased to the water line. Before doing this a large volume of water was rapidly pouring out of the exit tube.

Did you have to add a valve to your exit line as well?

Now, with the powehead.....I have a Maxi Jet 900 in one corner and a JBJ in the other. The JBJ is the one that stopped the air bubbles. I'll take the air tubing off. I have a lot of salt creep. I was wondering what was causing it. Thanks.

I have a black screw valve on the venturi line. When I have it wide open, it increase the water level about 1-2 inches shy of the minimum water level line.

Close it a little at a time, until the water line rises.. You are letting too much air into the skimmer for the water level to rise...

Back
Top Bottom