Skimmer on a 50 gallon reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering would a skimmer be needed on a 50 gallon reef. I have 60 pounds of live rock and 65 pounds of tropic eden live sand. I do 15% water change every Sunday after the Chicago Bears Game cause I love my sand looking clean lol. Would it make sense to spend $300 on a skimmer when I hear W/C are much better.

You could get by without a skimmer on a 50 but I wouldn't.... The material it will pull out of the water will pay for itself in water changes and water quality in no tome if you ask me. I wouldnt go akimmerless on anything bigger then 30 gallons.

I just picked up an eshopps psk100h for my 54g reef. Didn't set up yet, but eagerly awaiting. Have to mod my lights first...I would def get a skimmer for a reef.

Good luck

You can get in sump skimmer or Hang on the Back. :) though its not necessary to have one but its highly recommended

I had to do the hob because I didn't have room in the sump. These corner tanks lack space under the tank. I did however get an oversized skimmer for my tank size. The hob eshopps seem to be the best hob based on the reviews. If I had room down below, I would have certainly went for an in sump model.

Ok I'll order the Aquamaxx hob-1 today. I HATE this film on top of the water. I'm in an apartment and the landlord was already skeptical about the tank but said it was ok but I can't have a sump. So i'll use a hob skimmer. I just hate this film on the surface!!

You could get creative like putting a filterpad into a fish net and swooshing it around or something like that. if dust is settling on your water its cause your surface isn't being disturbed enough. Do you have a powerhead or a hydor pump in your reef? Point it more upwards so it just breaks the surface of the water, it's stop this film...

You could get creative like putting a filterpad into a fish net and swooshing it around or something like that. if dust is settling on your water its cause your surface isn't being disturbed enough. Do you have a powerhead or a hydor pump in your reef? Point it more upwards so it just breaks the surface of the water, it's stop this film...

WOW!! Great idea. I have a open top tank and the Hydors are blowing on the live rock. Ill put some filter fiber in a net and skim the surface!! Thanks alot!!

Back
Top Bottom