Skimmer on a Nano...Benefits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I have been reading really good reviews for the AquaticLife nano skimmer that Marinedepot sells for $48.00...

I know that skimmers are not needed for small tanks ( I have a 20g) but for $48.00, is it worth it? I read that they are good no matter what, but $48.00 good?

What all could I expect from running this lil nano skimmer on a 20g? Could PWC go from 1week to like 1.5weeks? Ive got some acroporas. Would this benefit them enough to justify $48.00?

I guess in other words, could $48.00 for a decent (not great) skimmer be justified on a nano, or is the hassles of protein skimming going to balance out any benefits?

Thanks!
Matt

i don't think a skimmer is good no matter what. if you purchase a skimmer that doesn't work well, and have to hang this eyesore on the side of your tank, then it's no benefit.
i would not use a protein skimmer on a nano, for 2 reasons:
1. it's another ugly device that has to hang on the tank and take away from it's beauty
2. water changes are a piece of cake on a small tank, and are much better because they also replace valuable trace elements as well as export nutrients.

i would say adding this skimmer and lessening the frequency of water changes on your nano would be detrimental to acropora.

I kind of agree. PWC`s on a nano will accomplish the same thing. Remember that PWC`s also replenich trace elements. Not just dilute excessive nutrients.

Hmmm...What about keeping up with PWC and adding the skimmer?

I am trying to rid myself of that nasty brown stuff that collects on the sides of the tank and the lil refugium I made that houses a big clump of chaeto.

Water change is simple, but cleaning this film is tough. It stinks like heck and doesnt scrub off easily. Very slimy filmy stuff. Mag float seems to miss it too.

I figured its got to be getting nutrients from my already underfed tank...The Aquaticlife skimmer has been shown to pull alot of nasty junk from the water. Think it might fight this mess? Strangely, its the only algae growing aside from the chaeto. (Its even grows ON the chaeto!).

So what about keeping up with PWC and adding this skimmer? Could that put a dent in the algae stuff? If it did, that would make upkeep much easier on me. As of now, I have to reach into the tank with a plastic blade and scrape the stuff off. It takes about a week to become unsightly. It replenishes itself daily and grows in the most inconvienient places. :-x

I am currently running GFO and chaeto. I only feed a little every other day. I just dont see how this stuff grows so crazy when nothing else (algae) is growing? Makes me look like one of THOSE guys...(The kind using tap water and feeding three times a day, every day). And yea, nitrates and phosphates always show as zero when I check them. :p (the stuff must be eating it)

Matt

i don't know of an algae that you can't scrape off with a mag float and is slimy. can you take a pic?
if the skimmer works well and you don't mind the look of it, then it will be a benefit. however, i don't know if it will rid you of this algae you are speaking of.

what about your lighting? how old are your lamps?

I do both I run a skimmer on one and do water changes , I do seem to get a good amount of gunk out on top of the 50% H20 changes I do weekly ...
On the BC8 I do not run a skimmer but do my 20% H20 changes weekly , and honestly can say it really does NOT matter ...It does help export the excess crap out , and I still MUST do maintanice either way but, I dont believe you need one ,it does help if I can NOT get my H20 changes done for what ever reason .... Both tanks need the mag float every other day and feed sparingly (wed and sundays only ) Yet in this closed system things grow how I do not know but they do ...
I believe the nutrients are grabbed up by the algeas , now granit I do not have a sump on either and do have macros in the BC8 that just appeared from no where and it grows ... but as the tanks age the stuff does seem to slow down IME ....either way it is personal preference if you want to spend the 50 buckssay go for it if you dont relish it save it and take a wait and see aproach . I do not have any advice on the brand you are looking at so I am of no help there . What I run is the aqua c with fair/good results ... :D

i don't know of an algae that you can't scrape off with a mag float and is slimy. can you take a pic?
if the skimmer works well and you don't mind the look of it, then it will be a benefit. however, i don't know if it will rid you of this algae you are speaking of.

what about your lighting? how old are your lamps?

Check out this thread: brown slime in high flow mechanical areas??? - Reef Central Online Community

EXACT same stuff...Unfortunately, the year old thread never had a follow up. :-(

I dont mind the look of the skimmer, but will pass if its not really going to do anything. :)

From what I have been reading, skimmers may not help me out at all huh? Seems they just remove food in the water before it breaks down. I never have any uneaten food. Could food also mean , poop? :) I have poop!

Matt

If you can spring for it and don't mind the look of it, it really couldn't hurt. I would probably get a bigger one though, that way if you ever upgrade you don't have to get another skimmer to match. I'm going to run one rated for 75g on my 12+20g

Yea, I usually shoot for more than enough too. (Got a 50W heater for a 7.5g tank) The thing that is drawing me to this skimmer is the price. :) That and that it seems to do alright after it breaks in and some fiddling done.

Maybe I will look for a better used one around the same price before pulling the trigger on this Aquaticlife one. Now, I might consider a much better one if it were most likely to put a dent in this blasted brown film algae...

Anyone here able to notice any difference going from no skimmer to skimming?

Thanks!
Matt

I have this skimmer on a aquaclear 110, it does produce lots of foam (dark tea color) and is plug and play. The water output area seem to produce microbubbles in the tank. If you don't mind the microbubble then get it.

I do weekly 4 gallon change on a 20 with live rocks. Nitrates is less then 10 (API) with or without the skimmer. But i do overfeed.

Back
Top Bottom