skimmer placement help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I picked up a Berlin Classic skimmer yesterday locally. It came with a mag5 pump. I want to add this to my wet/dry set up but the compartment that is post filtered water does not have enough room for the skimmer or the mag pump. The mag7 that is in there now takes most of the room. I guess the 5 would go in there but they would be on top of one another.

I need suggestions on how to hook this up. I thought of using a 10gal tank and putting the skimmer and mag5 pump in it. Then running a hose from the pump to the wet/dry filter compartment. Would this be the easiest solution?

I also just noticed that the mag7 I have does not have to be submerged. If the mag5 is the same then I could just have the pump and skimmer on the outside of the wet/dry. The hose for the pump would have to go up and over the acrylic side though. Would this make for a loud setup?

Also on this skimmer, it has 2 outlets and the manual states that the outlet hose should no be immersed. Won't this give you a running water sound all the time?

Thanks for the help.

If it were me, I would drill the wetdry placing the pump inside and the skimmer oudside, useing threaded fittings it should be easy to attach both the skimmer and the pump to the bulkhead.

If the water is freefalling into the sump, yes there will be splashing, I typically have my skimmer return fall onto a sponge to reduce bubbles and noise. Aquaclear 500 sponges work well for this ;)

Back
Top Bottom