Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Skimmer question

Hi All;

I've recently started my first marine tank, and am getting it cycled now. It's 51 gallons with 40# of live sand and only a couple on small live rocks. I have a canister filter with foam and carbon.

I bought a Red Sea prizm skimmer (unfortunately, before my corner tank arrived). As it turns out I don't have enough room to hang the skimmer on the back.

OK, here's the question. I can hang it on the front, it just looks crappy. would it do any good to hang it there for 24 hours or so, and then remove it? Or does it need to run 24/7/365 to do any good???

Thanks
Dan

Old 07-27-2004, 01:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could you return it for a skimmer that fits better? (before you use it?)

You could put the skimmer on and off the tank. I think you would likely run into trouble getting it adjusted just right. Normally, you get to adjust it based on a constant level of protein removal. You would be faced with inconsistant levels of skimmables and you will find it hard to get the skimmer to behave. The also work better after they've run for a while.

Your best option is probably to add a sump. (space permitting, under the tank?) You could put the skimmer there.

Another thing you may not have thought about is to put the skimmer INSIDE the tank. You could build a false wall from black plexiglas inside the tank to hide it.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used to have that skimmer, and they are a pain to adjust, so I would reccomend running it 24/7.
since you are still cycling the tank, I would siphon out most of the water into buckets or a new plastic tub. and then move the tank forward a few inches. Then replace the water.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree wholeheartedly with darb2. No reason to drop more money when a little labor is all it takes. You can get 30 gallon garbage cans at walmart for $3 each to store the water in. You'll need one anyway to mix water changes. And run the skimmer, any skimmer you get, 24/7. It removes only traces at a time, so it needs to run all the time to be a real benefit.

welcome to AA
Old 07-28-2004, 01:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks guys, but moving the tank isn't an option. If I did, it would be hanging off the edge of the stand.

Planning on modifing the Prizm now. Think I'll mount it inside the closet next to the tank and plumb over the lines. May work. May not, the fun is in trying.

If it doesn't work, is there any such thing as a "canister skimmer"?

Here's a pic of the tank, you'll see the problem. The closet is to the right:
Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ambulocetus
Wow, really nice looking tank - hope the plumbing works! A little ingenuity goes a long way in this business!
Old 07-28-2004, 11:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My only comment is that a Prizm isn't enough skimming for a 50gallon tank. Many, many people told me it would barely be enough on a 40gallon tank, unless I didn't stock heavily.

If you bought the Prizm Pro, that'll be ok...but the standard Prizm is gonna be underpowered.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com