Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Skimmer Question

I just started a skimmer on my system. I've heard that it may take a few days to actually start skimming effectively. Is this true and how long should it take and why?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

it takes up to 2 weeks depending on the model to fully 'break in'. It's not a mechanical breakin, like a new car engine...but rather a slime coat builds up inside the skimmer, so bubbles stop adhereing to the sides of the skimmer box. Technically it should skim right away, but it's not gonna be stable for a week or two (as in you'll have to adjust the collection cup/venturi flow during the break-in).

What brand/model of skimmer? we can give you some tips on it.

(please don't say you bought a Prizm)

Old 10-11-2004, 02:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got an Aquamedic Turboflotor 1000 in-sump skimmer. How should I adjust the collection cup? When do I know it is correct? And what's wrong with a Prism?
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 10-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The prizm is just a crappy skimmer. I just ran across someone else's comment, which summed it up perfectly: "No amount of modifications to a Prizm will ever make it do more than a mediocre job of skimming." I tossed a new cpr bak-pak on my 40g, after I pulled the Prizm. Within 48 hours I skimmed more gunk than my prizm would in 2 weeks. It wasn't a matter of the prizm needing adjusting either...if I turned the flow up a tiny amount, I'd have a full cup of mostly seawater.

The turbo floaters supposed to be a pretty decent skimmer. You want to adjust the collection cup so you collect dark fluid. Another way to phrase is it you want the foam entering the cup to be a dry foam...not super wet.
What you want is liquid in the collection cup that's at least as dark as weak tea, and it may get as dark as weak coffee (basically light brown to deep brown is the range you're after).
Old 10-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's been going for a couple of days now and not much in the way of anything in the collection cup. It seems to be producing a lot of tiny bubbles in the reaction chamber, but just no foam coming out of the top.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have the same skimmer. To adjust how much material you skim is directly related to the input water. This skimmer requires you to feed water from the overflow into the chamber. This connection must be adjusted to reduce or increase the flow until it is producing foam. Once you get bubbles rising to the top of the collection cup stop. You will also need to clean the air tube every week. I use a steel rod (smaller than the air tube, jam it in there and rotate , you will feel the salt buildup breakup), salt will clog the tube at the pump. This is the only thing bad about this skimmer. If you keep it clean it works ok, but am going to upgrade to a Euro Reef soon.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com