Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im suprised at how many good reviews it has. Then there are some haters...I wonder if its because they are used to a $500 skimmer, or because this thing is iffy?

I might get one for my 20g...I feel left out! Everyone talks about their skimmate and all... Plus, maybe it will improve quality in between my PWC I do about 1-2weeks.

Matt

Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It takes about 2-3 days to fill up the cup with very yellow liquid. Now the top of the cone is getting a darker film on the top of it.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nick,

My mini is working great so far...third day I have gunk the canister and foam. Seems to be working well.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How are the micro bubbles? I read that it can be a bit of a bubble maker.

Matt
Old 07-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How so?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
many folks review skimmers without owning one. so basically, they are happy if it foams up at all or produces anything.
yellow liquid however is not much of a prize in the collection cup. it should look like a pint of bass has been poured in it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRob View Post
How so?
People tend to agree that this skimmer produces alot of micro bubbles that make their way into the tank, thus looking bad.

There was a guy on another forum that was getting some nasty stuff from his skimmer. Looked like chewing tobacco spit. Ick!

Matt
Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Since I have it in my sump I don't have an issue with the microbubbles (and I have a sponge before the return just to be sure.) I'm happy with my yellow liquid at the moment. It started off light yellow, now is a darker thicker yellow (on the orange side) I think its making its way to the "pint of bass" I thought ultimately I'm looking for something "dry" in the cup. My tank is better for having it in there, I'm going to give it a chance and post an accurate review so others can make their decision before ordering from the site.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you won't see anything completely dry. dry skimmate is just a term used for the more dense stuff....sort of like the bass.
make sure you rinse that sponge out regularly. i think a sponge before the return is detrimental because it doesn't allow any of the critters living down there to hit the return pump and travel back to the DT. i would remove it and see if you can live without it.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for clarifiying. Actually how I have it setup its blocking any bubbles that would want to be sucked in, but shouldn't block the pods. Its not actually against the in-take, just a barrier at that point (its actually a foamy filter bad not actually a sponge) Water flows freely totally around the in-take (can't explain it this early in the morning, but pods have a several ways to get into that section freely)

Tags
setup, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com