Skimmer/Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone! While I do not plan on setting up another saltwater tank soon, I had a few questions.

What is the smallest sized tank you can have without a sump?

What is the smallest sized tank you can have without a skimmer?

When I do set up a SW again, it will be a FOWLR.

:thanks:

Last summer I started a 30 gal FOWLR that eventually had 1 Clarkii Clown, 2 YT Damsels and a BSWGoby. I had a HOB filter with media inserts and a small cheato ball growing under a CFL bulb. I did 5 gal WC weekly. Despite that my nitrates slowly climbed to between 40-80 ppm. That meant those 4 fish were producing 8-16 ppm nitrates weekly and I couldn't keep up.
In the fall I purchased a hob refugium skimmer combo and I was able to get my nitrates down to about 0.
My filter was a 40 gal rated filter with carbon and chemi-pure elite and a filter pad (changed weekly). Even with the additional small cheato it couldn't keep up with 4 med sized fish.
Personally I wouldn't have more than 1 or 2 fish with a filter only system unless your willing to do massive water changes weekly.

One of my tanks is a 29 gallon tank. I have a HOB skimmer and a Fluval 305 canister filter. It's a FOWLR and has 2 ocellaris clownfish and one firefish. It's still a constant struggle with red algae but nitrates usually stay under control with regular maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom