Skimmer types

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sipe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was going to get a used skimmer from a friend, but he sold it on ebay :x instead, so I am in the market for a new skimmer.

Will have a 75 gal reef with 30 gal refugium below.

I have seen AquaC mentioned on the boards, but any recs and inexpensive net sites to purchase.

You won't find the Remora for much less than the standard $160'ish price, unless you want to try eBay for a used one.

Take nickthapainter's advice and visit Captive Reefs. I believe he is running a 10% discount for AA members though the end of December! Makes the Remora a fantastic deal. :D

I found an awesome reference comparing all main protein skimmers on wetwebmedia.com

It shares one person's extensive experience with many skimmers and can help us all choose the one which best fits our needs.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i1/protein_skimmer_impressions.htm

If you aren't set on the AquaC, take a look at Euroreef. I love mine--it skimmed yuck out of freshly mixed SW before I'd even added anything! Easy to set up and run and so far hasn't needed any adjustment.

The EuroReefs are quite pricey, but I received a busted AquaC Remora Pro in the mail today. SO maybe I should have gone with them.

It was purchased from me and the broken parts are going to be replaced. Just remember it is UPS breaks things in transit. Not the mail order companies or manufacturers. No one ships out broken merchandise hoping the end user will not see it.. Breakage is just part of the game when it comes to mail order. Your new parts will be in the mail monday.

Actually Captivereefs has been great!! No way they could have known there was a crack since the unit was still cellophaned.

Darin is sending me a replacement skimmate cup, so should be no problem in the long run. Cup still works, just has a crack in it.

I will keep buying from captivereefs as they have been very helpful and attentive with great prices.

Back
Top Bottom