skimmerles people lets here ya!:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

To skim or not to skim, that is the question?

• Absolutely Do Skim.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Do Not Skim

• I Skim Once In A While

• What Is Skimming Anyway?

• Total voters
It is not an instant recipe for cyano or any other problem to not use a skimmer unless you don't use some other sort of method or overstock your tank.

I have a 50 gallon, no room for sump or refugium, this is why I skim.*edited by reefrunner69*

looking at zacjs pic the tanks looks a bit cloudy for my liking !! a skimmer would help that for sure!!

Very good point hoops. I am most worried fro the people who like to stock heavy may feel that they don't need a skimmer. 8O

*edited by reefrunner69*
scuba_steve I use to not have a canopy so the light from my mh got in the pic to make it look cloudy really not cloudy. :wink:

Please do not make this thread personal, this is a highly (and hotly) debated topic and should be debated in a detatched manner.

That said, I see no reason for this thread to end. There are many people that choose to run skimmerless and plenty that run them, this thread should be to share your experiences, not recruit troops to "the dark side of the skimmer" (whichever side that might be). This is the type of thing where you convey your experiences and what you know to be fact, not sway the reader to one side or the other.

Wow, I'm not even sure why this turned apparently personal :?: My point is that skimmers perform nutrient export, but is not the only way to skim the cat as someone pointed out. One way is how you stock your tank. It is not a unheard of that many people skim to overcome how much bioload they can have otherwise, in fact, that might have been one of their main purposes as most tanks are indeed overstocked to some degree. But if you choose to not run a skimmer you have to compensate by potentially stocking less. Other ways to export nutrients equally have already been stated too, such as I did with macroalgae and soft coral harvesting.

Full%20Tank--August%2027.jpg

Skimmerless almost 2 years now and my tank is never cloudy. There is some particulate matter, but this is not removed by a skimmer anyway. Nutrient removal is essential, but there are many ways to do it. Not to mention, many folks using Prism and other small skimmers aren't that much further from being skimmerless anyways (I was)...they just don't remove that much. :wink:

*self-edit--Oops, I thought I was misinterpreted but took a wrong guess. Sorry if this seems like a duplicate of my last post, I was trying to explain better :lol: *

Hoops tank looks awesome! :) I run a skimmer on my tank, its always clear and never foggy. On a 58 gal i run a 20gal sump. Whats some things i could put into my sump to better my skimmer for bioload? LR LS what else?

algae needs light. One thing to note is to make sure the algae does not go sexual. Algae in a closed system going sexual can destory water quality.

This is my 80 gal tank as of yesterday

80_gal_fulltank_8_15_03.sized.jpg

I need to setup a refuge and then the algae on the back glass and overflow should get knocked down.

I am skimmerless, and here is why...

MONEY! I would love to buy a skimmer, and Christmas, I am getting one. I hear skimmers are great tools, and frankly, I want in on it. My tank is fine, but I do weekly water changes, and have not missed the first one since my tank cycled.

Back
Top Bottom