Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Skimming

I have a CPR bak pak skimmer. Wondering what the appropriate frequency and duration are for skimming.

My setup is 20 gal reef with a few soft corals, Pygmy angel and a coral beauty, hermits, cleaner shrimp, brittle star. Everything is beautiful, no problems, just making sure I'm not skimming too much, I pretty much leave it on continuously.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Fish R friends, not food!

Dont see any reason not to leave a skimmer on 24/7. 20 gallon is a little small for a coral beauty though. Just sayin.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes 24/7 indeed. Agreed its to small a tank for the angel, but I've got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this lately. I don't think we should be saying anything about people's choices of fish in whatever tank. If he/she wants to keep angels and beauties in there, what business is it of ours?

Personally I have a flasher wrasse in my 40G but according to the experts it wants a 55.... However I've had it around 2 years now with no detrimental effects that I can see.

I think we should be concerned about our own glass boxes and let others run them how they choose/desire.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

^ Well this is an "advice" website and my advice would be that the tank is too small for two angels. In fish keeping, especially salt water people too often get fish that don't belong in their tanks. This is not one of the extreme cases I agree. I just cannot stand those that buy huge fish and say that"Oh I will give them away when they get too big. Not many out there with 300 gallon tanks to take full grown sweetlips and the such. Just not a good plan.

Anyhow yes leave the skimmer on 24/7. You can also search wet skimming or dry skimming.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #5

I appreciate your advice on the fish. These are the only two fish I have, the rock Pygmy angel is very small and the beauty is small as well. I'm working on a 75g now that will hold everything someday
Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well now that is a good size tank. Once the two dwarf angels mature they will likely start fighting in the small tank. I think most people here care about these dumb little fish that I think is the reason so many people caution to not overstock tanks
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #7

I've been doing this for a long time and I hate seeing people do that also. The 20g is 20 long, not the short one. Those two fish will be alright for a couple months. My 75 was previously freshwater.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its not about peoples choice as much as it being about fact. This is not an extreme case at all, ive seen pictures that of cases that are though that can literally make you sick.

I disagree with knowingly buying fish that will become too big for your tank. Not knowing means you probably should have bought the fish with some research but all aside, its something that is none of my business. If hes doesnt know the fish will outgrow the tank then he can be informed. Be if he knows and wants it anyway well then thats his choice and my nose over here minding my own business lol.

The doesnt lie so much with the swimming room as it does with other fish. Fish that dont have ample room become stressed and also become aggressive and territorial. Usually it ends with fish fighting and eventually death. Also because they become stressed they become more susceptible to disease, parasites, and infection from cuts and nipped fins. Just letting you know the facts.

Good luck with them and skim 24/7
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Tank is way to small for angel fish. Your skimmer will be best running 24/7
Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

You all are annoying! My question was about skimming only. Don't worry about my setup worry about your own

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com