Skimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WesHeimke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a CPR bak pak skimmer. Wondering what the appropriate frequency and duration are for skimming.

My setup is 20 gal reef with a few soft corals, Pygmy angel and a coral beauty, hermits, cleaner shrimp, brittle star. Everything is beautiful, no problems, just making sure I'm not skimming too much, I pretty much leave it on continuously.

Thanks

Dont see any reason not to leave a skimmer on 24/7. 20 gallon is a little small for a coral beauty though. Just sayin.

Yes 24/7 indeed. Agreed its to small a tank for the angel, but I've got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this lately. I don't think we should be saying anything about people's choices of fish in whatever tank. If he/she wants to keep angels and beauties in there, what business is it of ours?

Personally I have a flasher wrasse in my 40G but according to the experts it wants a 55.... However I've had it around 2 years now with no detrimental effects that I can see.

I think we should be concerned about our own glass boxes and let others run them how they choose/desire.

^ Well this is an "advice" website and my advice would be that the tank is too small for two angels. In fish keeping, especially salt water people too often get fish that don't belong in their tanks. This is not one of the extreme cases I agree. I just cannot stand those that buy huge fish and say that"Oh I will give them away when they get too big. Not many out there with 300 gallon tanks to take full grown sweetlips and the such. Just not a good plan.

Anyhow yes leave the skimmer on 24/7. You can also search wet skimming or dry skimming.

I appreciate your advice on the fish. These are the only two fish I have, the rock Pygmy angel is very small and the beauty is small as well. I'm working on a 75g now that will hold everything someday

:) well now that is a good size tank. Once the two dwarf angels mature they will likely start fighting in the small tank. I think most people here care about these dumb little fish :) that I think is the reason so many people caution to not overstock tanks

I've been doing this for a long time and I hate seeing people do that also. The 20g is 20 long, not the short one. Those two fish will be alright for a couple months. My 75 was previously freshwater.

Its not about peoples choice as much as it being about fact. This is not an extreme case at all, ive seen pictures that of cases that are though that can literally make you sick.

I disagree with knowingly buying fish that will become too big for your tank. Not knowing means you probably should have bought the fish with some research but all aside, its something that is none of my business. If hes doesnt know the fish will outgrow the tank then he can be informed. Be if he knows and wants it anyway well then thats his choice and my nose over here minding my own business lol.

The doesnt lie so much with the swimming room as it does with other fish. Fish that dont have ample room become stressed and also become aggressive and territorial. Usually it ends with fish fighting and eventually death. Also because they become stressed they become more susceptible to disease, parasites, and infection from cuts and nipped fins. Just letting you know the facts.

Good luck with them and skim 24/7

You all are annoying! My question was about skimming only. Don't worry about my setup worry about your own

To the OP- People are allowed to share their opinions and experiences here at AA. You may not agree or like the answer but they are allowed to share their opinions.
To the other posters- I think the OP gets the idea about the fish lets try to help him on the skimming question. Lets keep this thread civil.

I gave you advice about skimmer however the reason i gave you advice on the angel fish is they will cause a problem with your bioload because of the size they will get. Take it or leave it but there are a lot of nice people on this forum that will give you advice and help on your subject but they will also help you try to prevent future problems

Agree with melosu, let's just comment on the questions being asked and not go off piste on a different subject.

Im still new at this myself, if I ask a question and in asking that question others see a blatant mistake I have made, I would like to know. I don't think anyone here is being mean, just trying to make sure we all do things in a way that will bring success, which includes preventing future problems. The more frustrated we get in this hobby, the less likely to stay in the hobby.

^yes

He will be back when hes wondering why his fish have ick or why his nitrates are off the charts. Advice was asked and advice was given. Take it or leave it.

By the way, I think those question was answered. Skim 24/7 and if its more liquid than dry trays fine too, just consider the nasty water as part of your water change and replace the lost water.

Back
Top Bottom