Skunk Cleaner shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just had to share this. I added a skunk cleaner to my tank tonight. After completing the drip acclimation and introducing the shrimp I went to put my equipment away. when I returned I found the shrimp climbing all over my Orange shoulder tang performing his duties. Once he was done the tang swam back over to a rock and dropped him off. This hobby is so cool. 8)

my cleaner so desperately wants to do this, but none of my fish are big enough for him. So i let him clean my hand. :)

Jim

my clown did not like him cleanig him. but i hope to get some more fish in the next week or so and i hope the let him clen them.

why are my posts not showing up. i already posted some thing in theis topic but it did not show up. but i got the screen that it did.

Mine clean only two fish in my tank thats my tang and my midas blenny. Its cool to watch especially when more than one jump on one fish to clean at the same time.

I just got my first one today, there very hard to find here locally. Anyways after acclimation, I removed him from the bag by hand. The funny thing was I held him to place him on a rock, and he wouldn't let go of my finger. He was cleaning away, after I got him off though hes been hiding, and I have 3 tangs, and 2 angels. I hope hes ready for work tommorow.

Mine follows by blenny around alot. Hes easier for him to catch i think.

Dewey

Anyone know how many cleaner shrimp you can have in a tank? gotz_potential made it sound like you have multiple cleaners. I had one a few months back that never cleaned anything (did not have the tang them) and mysteriously went belly up after about 6 weeks.

As stated above this one started right away and the Orange Shoulder Tang seems to love it. Have not seen him servicing any of the other fish yet(all the other fish are currently fairly small). Servicing....that sounds kind of kinky. :lol:

Why when my cleaner shrimp is doing its job, the fish won't swim around like you guys cleaner does? The fish stays at the position with the shrimp and let it clean and went off. BTW why only my flame angel let the cleaner clean? My damsels and clowns don't let it clean at all.

my clowns wont stick around for a cleaning either but i do have a spotted watchman goby that just lays there and enjoys.Its a riot to watch

It is more the norm for the cleaner shrimp to set up a "cleaning station" so to speak. The animals will then come to them when needed. Angels, tangs and other more personable fish will typically seek them out. It has been my experience that damsel species will not often if at all allow themselves to be cleaned.

Cheers
Steve

I found my flame angel moving its body closer to the cleaner shrimp, but the cleaner ignored it, and the angel nip it once, why? BTW how long does shrimp takes to molt once? 24 hrs? Or just few mins?

well mine has dose it in the night when all lights are off. but you can tell just before he dose becasue he dose not move vary much and is picking at his tail and such.

mansiz said:
I found my flame angel moving its body closer to the cleaner shrimp, but the cleaner ignored it, and the angel nip it once, why?
The shrimp do not always "clean" on demand even though it's in their nature. If there is nothing there especially. IME, cleaners will also often stop performing their normal duties once they learn there's a much easier food source available.

BTW how long does shrimp takes to molt once? 24 hrs? Or just few mins?
I'm not exactly sure but I beleive it is only 5-10 min if that.

Cheers
Steve

I have over 25 in my 150 reef. i started with 11, and they multiplied like crazy. i've read numerous places that inverts like shrimp dont increase bioload, unless they are molting in a small tank. my other problem is that none of them clean. either i feed them too much, or my fish are super healthy. probably the former...

i've read numerous places that inverts like shrimp dont increase bioload

Meaning shrimp don't produce waste? But I really did'nt see my shrimp wasting. Then where did the food they ate goes to? But I do saw snails pops.

Shrimp do produce wastes but what they add in terms of load on the biological filtration is negligable.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom