Sleekest,Quietest HOB Overfow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I would appreciate suggestions of HOB overflow boxes rated for 150+ Gallons.

The features I`m looking for are the best combination of quietness and minimum protrusion both in and out of tank.

This one has been suggested. Pricewise and Dimensionwise it seems perfect. I`m concerned about the noise level. Is this a classic "U" design Overflow. Net posters sometimes complain about their noise.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18358

thanks again---
I`m picking up the 120 tank and stand today!:jump:

That is what I use on my 120g tank. (actually 2 of the PF-1200's) They are much quieter then my old setup but I can still hear them. You are going to have water sounds with a tank, unless you have it behind a wall and your sumps are in a basement.

The fans of light fixture make more noise than the built in corner overflows on my 125. At lights off there is just a slight, but pleasing sound of gurgling water. That comes from the tank, not the sump which is almost quite with the doors closed. There is just a slight hum of the pump coming from there.

I have that overflow and in an effort to make it a little more quiet, my plan was to cover the box with an acrylic cutout that would fit on the open top part like a lid. My plan was to make a cardboard cutout and then take it to Lowes or home depot and get it cut as an acrylic piece. After I made the cardboard cutout, I put it in place and that alone made a big enough difference that I just left it there and didn't even need to get the same cutout in acrylic. The cardboard alone already cut out lots of the noise that it makes. Of couse there still is some noise though.

Almost any time you have an overflow you`ll experience some noise. Water cascading over the overflow will make a little noise. When I had my 55 I had that overflow and it did not make alot of noise but it did a little.

This is what I used to use to keep my hob overflow dead silent.
overflow-sm.jpg

What is that you built there cccapt, how did you do it? And what is the black wire thing going into the overflow that is seen in the back part of the picture?

It makes the overflow quite. It is a plastic cup with airline hose in it for air. The wire looks like a ph wire...or I could be wrong....

That is a plastic cup with a hole in the top for a piece of airline. The black cord is probably the power cord for a ph...it's not in the overflow.

Dont keep us in suspense Larry. What are you doing in the pic? What`s doing what?
This is the ultimate no-cost HOB overflow silencer. It really works great for how simple it is.

So is the plastic cup just floating there with the pvc pipe inside of it?
It's wedged between the 2 sides (front & side) and a small piece of eggcrate (back) just to keep the cup in place. The cup is in maybe 1 1/2" of water and the airline just barely goes thru the hole in the top. It doesn't go down into the water.

And what is the black wire thing going into the overflow that is seen in the back part of the picture?
Looking closer at that pic, that is actually the probe from my ORP controller from back when I was running ozone. I tried the probe in a few diff locations and I guess I took that pic when the probe was in there.

I see a patent in your future Larry. I can finally say I know a millionaire. LOL
I wish....lol. Wonder how much I can get for a dixie cup with a hole in the bottom. The airline is extra.

Back
Top Bottom