Sleep/Quiet Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have recommendations for sleep/quiet time for fish? Meaning, no powerheads, lights off for a certain amount of time. Got some auto-timers and am trying to figure out if I should cut powerheads, lights at certain time of night and for a certain number of hours? Anyone?

the waves never stop in the ocean...so it's never quiet there either. stopping powerheads would be a bad idea.

I do lights off from 11pm til noon the next day. I use a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro to control my 3 powerheads to create random wave movements throughout the day. The Wavemaster also has a nite mode, which creates an 8 hr calm. It starts at the same time every night once you use it the first time. The main pump from my sump stays on all the time.

If you have LR or corals then I don't think it's a good idea to reduce flow for any extended periods. The fish will have no problem finding lower flow areas if they so choose. The only time I would ever reduce it is during feeding.

BTW - I'm pretty sure tides in the ocean have to do with the moon and not night/day.

Back
Top Bottom