Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just bought a goldenhead sleeper goby to help with keeping the sand clean. Put him in the tank 1/2 hour ago and he is causing a tornado of sand! Is that normal? Will he calm down? He is like a dog burying a bone.. sand is flying everywhere. You can't see in the tank right now. Yikes!

DJ

(P.S. - how big do they get? The Conscientious Marine Aquarist says as big as 6 inces?)

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to The Matt
I had one and it was awsome! I think they get like three to four inches long.

Matt

Old 02-19-2005, 09:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

But did it stir up the sand so violently? Our tank is a big cloudy mess. I am hoping it is not going to be this way forever.

DJ
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
Old 02-20-2005, 08:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
my powerhead seems to do the job when feeding time comes along.. it quickly disperses the food and everyone gets to eat.. my fast food fish r my blue, yellow and purple tangs..but the powerhead pushes the food everywhere and my goby and clowns (the slowpokes of the tank) get more than they can chow down.. if u have a powerhead..i suggest u place it in a place where, when u drop the food in the tank it pushes the food around, in your case maybe place is facing slightly down..? IMO anyway..!
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

We are considering returning this goby (if the LFS will take it back - I don't even know if they do that). Our tank is so cloudy you can't see in it since we added him yesterday.

Can someone with experience with a sand sifting goby please tell me if this will always be the case? I never saw anyone mention this when discussing this fish, nor did I see it described in the Conscietious Marine Aquarist book. Maybe the issue is the combination of our Sleeper Gold Head Goby and our substrate (sand). Maybe he "works" better in a tank with a substrate not so fine?

DJ
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

Old 02-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
here is a rare pic cause my midas and my golden head hate eachother they bite eachother but they just stay away from one another the midas lives in the top of live rock and golden lives undernieth it lol

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/attach...cc58359ddb.jpg

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jester
Does your goby keep the tank a cloudy mess?
DJ
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

Old 02-20-2005, 04:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

no not at all maybee something to do with what kind of sand u have in your tank
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
Old 02-20-2005, 04:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the tropical play sand. Is that what you have?

DJ
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

Old 02-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Iam not really sure i dont remember

Tags
goby, gold, sleep

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com